Four

Lawrence jumped up from the couch he was sleeping on when he heard a very loud cry. It was Ava's scream which overtook the beeping sound of the Monitor.

He walked as fast as his leg could take him towards Ava who was lying on the hospital bed in tears as she clutched her chest tightly. She was in pain.

Lawrence panicked and ran out of the room to get help.

Eventually, he was able to get a Doctor and a nurse who followed him immediately to Ava's ward. But they told him to wait outside the ward as they attended to her.

Lawrence had never been so scared in his life as he was now. He prayed nothing happened to Ava. He was just getting to know her and he couldn't afford to lose her now. Besides, Luis needed his mother.

About 12 minutes later, the Doctor came out from Ava's ward and Lawrence turned to him for answers

"Will she be okay?" He asked in fear.

"We are losing her Mr. Williams. But She said she wants to have a word with you. I'm so sorry." The middle-aged doctor said as he gave Lawrence a light squeeze on his shoulder.

Lawrence nodded sadly and entered Ava's ward. She was already lying down on the bed. But her heart rate was not normal. One could tell from the monitor.

When Ava saw Lawrence approaching him, she tried to sit up.

"No, no, you shouldn't stress yourself, Ava," Lawrence said as he sat beside her on the hospital bed and burst into tears immediately as he remembered in a few more minutes, he would be left alone to look after his son. He knew nothing about children. Where the hell was he going to start from?

Ava saw Lawrence crying and she started tearing up also. She took Lawrence hands in hers, looked him in the eye, and said

"Promise me you will take very good care of yourself and Luis. Please promise me."

"It's not going to be easy Ava. But I'll try. I will try my best to be the best father to Luis." He said in tears and Ava nodded.

"It pains me that I won't be here to watch him grow. Please let him know he is the best thing that has ever happened to me. You and Luis will always have a place in my heart and I will always be watching you both up there." Ava said in a raspy voice

"We will miss you, Ava. So much." Lawrence sobbed and Ava gave him a sad smile. Who knew Lawrence Earl Williams could also be emotional.

"Here's the key to my apartment. Some of Luis's things are there; Few clothes and toys that I bought for him. You can pack them. Then also, the few clothes I have, you can send them to the orphanage. The landlord's number is on the fridge in my apartment, you can get back to him to return the apartment keys. Then I have some change in my account for the man my father is owing. What is left in my account is not up to half of what my father is owing but please give the money to my landlord, he will hand over the money to Mr. Gills."

"Mr. Gills is the one your father is owing?" Lawrence sniffed.

"Yes, he lives next to my landlord."

"I will pay the debt. How much is it?" He asked.

"A little over $23,000"

"Don't worry, I will settle it." He assured.

"Thank you. That means you can use the money in my account for Luis or give it to the orphanage" She said as she handed him her card.

As soon as Lawrence collected the card, Ava let out a scream and clutched her chest with her right hand.