Chapter 90

The dried leaves crunch beneath our feet as we enter the camp. Children playing all around with adults supervising and chatting. All wolves. All my pack. And yet the only thing I care about right now is finding my sister.

"Hey there." I bend down, picking up a ball that I stopped with the base of my boot. The little boy chasing after it looks up at me curiously. "I won't hurt you. I'm Felicity."

He continues to watch me in confusion and I realise I'm not going to get answers out of a kid. And I'll be damned if I ever hurt one.

I feel Klaus's hand rest on my shoulder so I stand up and join him in entering the encampment. Most of the wolves turn to look at us, mainly at Klaus.

Klaus watches them all with an eerie eye, planting a sinister smile on his lips.

"I wonder if you lot can help me and your alpha."

I step forward and face the silent wolves.

"I'm looking for my sister. Hayley?"

My eyes dart around from head to head, silence lingering.

"I'd prefer you to tell us where she is before I grow irritated. After all, there are children present."

After a moment a woman steps forward, a young child in her arms.

"We don't want any trouble."

I raise my hands and soften my voice, "please. I just need to speak with her. She's my sister."

She sighs and points to the south, deep bayou territory.

"They've gone to the elder Mary. Jackson's grandma."

I smile and nod in gratitude.

"Thank you."

With Klaus's hand in mine I begin to drag him deep into the Bayou.

"I'm impressed love."

I chuckle, raising my eyebrows in question as I do my best not to trip over the large tree roots in the ground.

"With what exactly?"

"Your kindness. Mercy even. I would have slaughtered the lot had they not given me answers."

I push my hand against his chest and he stumbles backwards only to regain his footing and laugh.

"Oh please. I know you're a big softie deep down."

"Very deep down and only for you."

I blush, breathing in the warm air of the Bayou before my mind becomes burdened yet again by the endless outcomes of this situation.

"What if we're too late?"

"We will cross that bridge when we come to it. Though I doubt you'd like the outcome very much."

"I'm serious Nik. This isn't something we can let slip. If Hayley has to divulge all her secrets then I'm sorry, but they're not doing it."

"You don't need to persuade me love. If Hayley so much as utters a figment of what has been told to her, I'll simply cut her tongue from her mouth and render her speechless."

I grimace at the thought before I realise that this is deadly serious. Klaus killed his father to protect Hope. How far would I go to protect her? It's an question I already know the answer to.

A little while later, Klaus and I finally came across a shack that I presume belongs to Mary. I could hear her heartbeat inside, the sound of a knife slicing against a chopping board echoing throughout the small shack. The door was wide open so Klaus and I approach, our hands wound tightly together.