Chapter 162

Birds chirp in the trees outside signalling the return of the morning. Only this morning is different. This morning I have Klaus by my side.

My eyes drift open and I blink to clear my visions. I look up to see Klaus sitting up right, his back against the headboard.

I look past him to see the time on the clock. It's only six o'clock but the girls would be up soon. Grace tends to get up early and makes it her mission to wake her sister up. She usually wakes Hayley up too but is gracious enough to let her mommy sleep. I usually get up anyway but it still makes me smile.

I turn my attention back to Klaus to see him staring straight ahead, a blank expression on his face. I place my hand on his thigh, drawing him back into the present.

"Hey, is everything alright?"

He looks down at me as I push myself up on my arms.

"Everything's perfect," he says, his eyes flicking between mine. "I'm with you."

"You little charmer," I say, pressing my lips to his. I pull back to see a darkness in his eyes. "I want you to know that whatever's going on in your head, you can tell me."

"I know, love." I smile at the nickname I haven't heard in five years. "I just want our forever to start."

"It's already begun Nik. You're here, your family is here and our girls are here. There's nothing more we need."

"A few more kids would be nice," he winks.

"Already?" I gasp. "Why don't we deal with the ones we have down the hall first?"

He seems to stiffen up. I know he's nervous, I can sense it. But there's no reason to be, the girls are going to love him just as much as he loves them. That nervousness is probably just excitement and curiosity bubbling inside of him. Maybe it's best I take the reigns and get things moving.

"Why don't you go shower and gather everyone outside? I'm gonna deal with the girls."

I peck his cheek before throwing the cover off of my body. It's already quite warm, so I grab my silk dressing gown and wrap it around my body. Klaus watches me with a nervous aura.

"Are they ready to see me?" He questions as I head for the door. "Do they know about us?"

"Us?"

"Our family."

"Klaus," I cross my arms, furrowing my eyebrows. "I told them everything they need to know. They know exactly who you are. They know you're their daddy and that you love them very much. They want to meet you again. They just want to be with you." He smiles. "Now go shower and make yourself pretty." I wink before heading out the door.

As soon as I open the door to the girls room, I find Grace sat on the floor next to Hope, both of them playing with their toy cars.

"Good morning my angels," I whisper as I creep into the room.

Their eyes shoot to me, Grace leaping to her feet.

"Mommy!" She runs to me and I scoop her into my arms, relishing in the feeling. There's truly no better feeling than holding your children after you've been away for a while. I've missed them.