Chapter 4: Deviant Discovered

Korra decides it's best to just keep following Connor

Korra decides it's best to just keep following Connor. Besides, her lack of sleep had began to take a toll on her and adventuring in the house was not going to help that.

___

Looking down the hallway, I frowned and shook my head slightly, turning back to the living room and following behind Connor.

After kneeling next to the body, it was only a few seconds before Connor stood back up and looked to the Lieutenant and I.

"He was stabbed... twenty-eight times," Connor said as the Lieutenant hovered over the android.

"Yea," Hank breathed, "seems like the killer really had it in for him."

Just as Hank walked away from us, Connor began to look around the room once more before leaving me yawning by the corpse. 

I frowned slightly as I looked the poor bastard over again. Ortiz was one of the worst bodies I've had to examine in a while, and that's really saying something. But as I looked over the stab wounds again, my ears perked up as I heard Connor beginning to explain our theory to Hank. 

"It all started in the kitchen," he began, leading Hank into the disheveled room. 

"There's obvious signs of a struggle. The question is, what exactly happened here?" Hank asked, sauntering in and standing next to Connor.

"I think the victim attacked the android with the bat," Connor continued as Hank told him to proceed. "The android stabbed the victim."

"So the android was trying to defend itself, right? Okay then what happened?" Hank asked, watching Connor approach each piece of evidence while I walked in and leaned against the refrigerator.

"The victim fled to the living room," Connor explained, circling around the disorder and leading us back into the living room.

"And he tried to get away from the android," Hank finished, "alright that makes sense."

"The android murdered the victim with the knife," Connor concluded, looking to Hank.

The two of us looked at the Lieutenant for a moment, he seemed a little surprised by how Connor had managed to propose such an accurate theory in such a short amount of time.

"Okay," Hank began, "Your theory's not totally ridiculous, but it doesn't tell us where the android went."

After that, my exhaustion finally began to take hold of me. My eyes were drooping and I struggled to even stand up straight. You'd think that after pulling countless all-nighters in college that I would have endured worse sleepiness.

Almost in an instant, I looked up to see Hank and Connor start to walk out of the room.

"Hey," I caught Hank by tapping his arm, "I'm clockin' out. I'll see you Monday, tell Connor I said bye and send me the report once you get back to the precinct."

"Alright, Kid, go get some sleep... see ya' Monday," Hank huffed but managed a small grin before turning away and walking out of the room.

With that, the stench of the body had driven me out of the house and back to my truck. The crowd of people around the police line had dispersed already, making the street eerily quiet. Looking around, I fished a cigarette out of my purse again along with a lighter. Thankfully the rain had halted to a light sprinkle, so I wasn't getting drenched. Flicking the lighter on, I carefully watched the flame as I brought it up to the end of the cigarette. I inhaled as it was lit, lowering the lighter yet continuing to watch the flame. 

I was finally able to process the events of the day and how strange this new situation was. I mean, an android investigating other androids? With Hank? Either he fucked up somewhere and got stuck with the RK-800 or something bigger was at work here. Opening the door to my truck, I got in the passenger seat and continued to smoke away. I didn't like to drink anymore, but after this week I felt like I at least deserved a shot.

I chuckled at myself as I slammed the door and started the car.

"Hank better send me an update, I've got a lot of catching up to do on Monday," I mumbled to myself. Little did I know, Hank went ahead and had all the fun without me. The moment I started the engine and drove away, Connor found the deviant.