01 ➶ NUCLEAR WAR

ADELAIDE KANE AS CARA LONGWOOD

CHAPTER 1: NUCLEAR WAR

- -

"YOU WILL BE THE DEATH OF ME,
AND I OF YOU."

- -

CARA LONGWOOD

"YOU FINISHED QUITE EARLY TODAY." My mother remarked. I was homeschooled throughout my entire life. It felt like my own mother was the principal who supervised every little thing I do in school.

"I suppose I'm getting better at Math." I hated Math, simply because it was hard. I really don't know how my teacher could bare my constant complaints about the subject.

LIVE AT PALO VERDE NUCLEAR STATION, I'M COOPER GOLDING. THEY HAVE JUST ANNOUNCED THEIR NEWEST CHAIRMAN, MR.–

Before the news program could announce the news, she turned off the TV. "It's already 9:30pm, it's time to get you rest." I nodded and stood up from the couch. Waiting for me at the hallway was a maid holding my daily supplements.

"We have already prepared your skin pamper products, placed right on your vanity table." She added. "That wasn't necessary, but thank you." She smiled and hurried off to the maid headquarters.

I walked up the stairs and went towards my room. After finishing my nightly routine, I prayed before going to sleep.

NEXT DAY

"LOUNGE AREA CLEARED.  DINING ROOM CLEARED."

I woke up the sound of a man exclaiming those lines. It took me a while to process that indeed the man was downstairs, not just outside our home or on television. I opened my eyes to see the atmosphere quite cloudy, and car alarms buzzing through my ears from outside. I could hear people screaming from a distance.

I managed to check the time from my alarm clock.

7:42am.

Before I could stand up to see the commotion going on, I heard heavy footsteps approaching my room. I backed away to the farther side of my bed, seeing two armored and masked man at my door.

"Who are you?!"

I screamed. I backed away as much as I could, failing to improve my vision from the cloudy atmosphere.

"I found her." One of the man exclaimed. He nodded to his comrade, and continued to approach me, holding what seemed to be a gas mask and a full body suit.

"Wait— what's happening— who are you people—" Before I could spit out questions furthermore, he forcefully put on the gas mask. Initially I tried to break free but realized the mask actually benefitted.

"We need you to come with us. For your safety." I simply nodded, as the man held onto my arm to escort me out my room. We carefully walked because of the shattered glass from my window. It looked like someone broke it from outside.

The atmosphere was only getting cloudier every moment. As we ran down the stairs, I see more covered men inspecting the entire place. They escorted me out the door and into a black car.

It took a while to process everything that's going on.

"Wait, where's my parents?" I've only realized now that neither my father nor mother was present in the car with me. As the engine started, I stood up and tried to leave the car, which caused quite the commotion.

"Calm down, Miss Longwood. Your parents have instructed us to bring you to safety." Being hardheaded, I still tried to open the lock of the sliding door, but I was being hindered by the man sitting beside it. "It is NOT safe to go back outside. We need you to cooperate for you to live." He raised his voice in stress, which resulted into me calming down and returning back to my seat.

"Where are they?"

"Do not worry about it, Miss Longwood."

I looked at my window and saw fire emerging from different houses, the car alarms blared throughout the entire street. There were people running with improvised eye protection. The entire place was a mess.

"What's happening?"

Widespread panic is being reported in major cities around the country. We can now confirm that a ballistic missile alert was texted to public approximately 3:00pm.

Things became clearer after that phone alarm. All the commotion, panic and mess it made. "Where are we going?"

"We're taking you to an outpost equipped for long-term habitation. No further questions until we get there."

I obeyed. All I could think of was my parents. How do they even know these people? Where could they be?

:WBN can now confirm Hong Kong, London, numerous sites in the Baltics and Moscow have all been hit and destroyed by nuclear ICBMs.

THE END IS NIGH, WORLD WAR THREE! WORLD WAR THREE!

AUTHOR'S NOTE

i know it's short, next chapter it will finally introduce the other characters and longer definitely.

SO this chapter's aim was to introduce our main character, Cara, and a little bit of background about her. She's the only child of a very wealthy family, is a Catholic, and overall a nice person. She is spoiled but she has a good humble attitude.