03 ➶ NEW HOME

CHAPTER THREE: NEW HOME

- -

- ❋ -

- -

CARA LONGWOOD

       SHE LED US THROUGH A HALLWAY, using her handheld candle as a light. The hallway connected to a larger area, with a fireplace at the center.

"This is a fallout shelter?"

"It is now. For many years, it served as an exclusive boys' school."

After Miss Venable replied to Timothy's question, it made me look around the place. It didn't look like it was a school, or was a school. "What kind of boys' school is subterranean?"

Miss Venable ignored Emily's remark. This made me conclude that I probably shouldn't ask any questions that weren't important. In the back of my mind, I was curious about the two people we saw getting shot in the head earlier outside. But I decided not to ask knowing the possible outcomes to it. "The Cooperative, to whom we owe our eternal gratitude, took owenrship and converted it once they realized what was coming."

"World War III?" I asked. I did think, it was impossible for the so called 'Cooperative' to predict World War III. It's unlikely someone would've prepared for such an event. Especially this sudden. The End?" Emily added.

"No. The Beginning." We were all left dumbfounded. We looked at each other in confsuion, not understanding what she meant. She made a turn and we continued to follow her. "The Cooperative has plans far beyond the temporary cleansing fire of the bomb. The Cooperation is not made up of nations or armies. It's a collection of the dozen greatest minds mankind has to offer. The Visionaries."

We follow her as we go up a staircase. The lighting was dim, with only a chandelier of candles at the middle of the staircase providing the main source of light for the staircase area. "They weren't visionary enough to think we might be able to use some generators?"

"It may seem to you as a regression, Mr. Campbell our way of life here, but you'd be dead wrong. Technology is what destroyed the world. Social media gave people the illusion they were equal. But that's all been swept away. The natural order will restore itself."

Miss Venable stops walking and we followed too. She turns back at us. I stood behind Timothy and Emily. I was probably the most terrified out of all of us. Honestly, it felt like I was the only one terrified.

"As Purples, you will each be furnished with a private suite."

"What's a Purple?"

Miss Venable walks over to a tall door and opens it. Before entering, she looks back at us again and looks at Emily, who asked the question. "The elite. The worthy. Those chosen to survive." I didn't know what I did or what happened for me to be chosen to survive. I was never told that I had exceptional genetic make-up like Emily or Timothy.