06 ➶ MASQUERADE

CHAPTER SIX: THE MASQUERADE

- -

- ❋ -

- -

"There's not a bad apple in the bunch. What if they were all bad?"

"What do you mean?"

"Poisoned. Might take a little work to extract it, but we've got plenty.
And we won't have to convince any of them to devour these.
But we need to make sure they all eat them at the same time."

CARA LONGWOOD

I WAS LYING ON MY BED STARING AT THE CEILING when one of the Grays knocked on my door to tell me there was an emergency meeting. I fixed my messy bed hair before heading downstairs to the lounge area. Everybody was already there and looking at me. Seeing Gallant made me remember what Langdon revealed to me. I decided to brush it off and pretend I never knew.

"These past several months have been difficult for all of us. And perhaps, in my efforts to keep us safe, punitive measures have been taken too far. I believe now what we need is a moment of celebration, camaraderie. Which is why this weekend, as a gesture of goodwill, we will have a Halloween soiree." Everyone in the room seemed excited by the announcement, most especially Coco and Gallant. "—in the style of a Victorian masquerade ball."

"It's Halloween this weekend?" Gallant asked out of curiosity. I think all of us didn't kept track of the dates ever since. I don't even know if my birthday already passed or not. "If only my nana were here to enjoy it with me." Gallant's expession immediately shifts from excited to sorrow.

We were informed Evie Gallant passed away. Gallant knew the reason why and what happened, but he didn't want to share out the imformation. So all we know is Evie Gallant passed away, which was a big loss for the human population. I prayed for her soul to move on to a better afterlife.

"We've all lost track of time a bit," which was indeed true. Nobody kept track of the dates. "–And this festive occasion is the perfect opportunity to remedy this. And I encourage you all to use your imaginations, to create what I am sure will be exquisite costumes. Attendance is mandatory." Miss Venable taps her cane on the floor twice, before proceeding to exit together with her comrades.

Everyone anticipated for the event. I never experienced it myself, but trying out something new sounded fun. And in a time like this, we'd kill for something interesting to happen. "Care to enlighten me what a soiree is?" I approached Timothy, who was standing next to Emily. "Well, usually we had it during high school." responded Timothy.