Chapter 46

Barty had been behaving really well during the rest of the evening. He had actually been enjoying the musical, even though it was a Muggle musical. They had been to the musical Mamma Mia in the West End, and even though the plot was really sweet and all about love, Barty had actually enjoyed it. Hermione even saw him smiling afterwards.

"I'm glad you liked it, do you want to go have a drink before we leave?" Hermione asked, looking up at him when they walked out the theatre.

"Sure," he smiled, "lead the way. You know this area better than I do."

So Hermione took his hand and walked with him down the street. But what she hadn't thought about, was that it was a Saturday night, around eleven o'clock, at the London West End. That meant that a lot of drunken people were on the streets as well. A lot of drunken men. And for some reason, the fact that she was already being with a man didn't stop them from catcalling her.

"Hi there, beautiful! Wanna come over and chill with us?" a first one yelled from across the street.

Hermione squeezed her husband's hand softly, because she knew his mood would change in a second.

"Ignore them, they're drunk," Hermione whispered to him.

Luckily, Barty did what she asked in the first two cases. He genuinely tried his best to not pay any attention to the drunk Muggles. However, the third time, two men kept on shouting really insulting things. And even though Barty was trying to hold back, Hermione knew that it was only a matter of time before he would cross the street and break their necks.

"What are you doing there with him, love, come party with us!"

"He is way too old for you, we can show you a good time! Is he your sugar daddy?"

"Nah, more like her pimp. Hey man, can we borrow your lady?"

"We'll pay you for her! How much is a hand job?"

The two men were laughing and clearly enjoying themselves, but Barty was now almost breaking Hermione's hand because he squeezed it so hard. Because they were still ignoring the Muggles, the two decided to cross the streets themselves.

"Hey, hey! Didn't you hear us? Let us give you a good time, baby."

They were blocking their path right now, so Hermione and Barty had to stop walking and shift their attention to the drunk friends.

"I'm not going with you, guys. I'm here with my husband. Now get out of our way," Hermione said calmly, taking charge before Barty could.

"Your husband? So he is your sugar daddy? You hear that, John? I was right."

"If you can do it on him, you can do it on us, too. Come on, darling," the man who was called John slurred.

"You have no idea who you are dealing with. Now get out of our way before you get hurt," Hermione said firmly.

"Not before you give us what we want," John said, advancing on her and then kissing her full on the mouth.

But before Hermione even knew what was happening, the man was already torn away from her, and he was lying on the concrete. A furious Barty was towering over him, his wand aimed at the drunk Muggle.

"He- he is one of those- those magic people," his friend stammered, looking slightly afraid now.

"Yes, yes I am. And you messed with a very dangerous one. How dare you insult me and my wife like that. How dare you kiss her. She is mine, and mine alone. And you will pay dearly for touching her, no, for even looking at her," Barty growled, while Hermione only took a step back. She knew it would be better to let him do this now, besides, she did her best. She did try to warn the Muggles. At least Barty could now blow off some steam which would make him calmer at home.