Chapter 63

Barty's POV

Barty hadn't left his office for over a week. He had been without Hermione for more than three weeks, and it was killing him. He was not eating well, he didn't shave, he didn't care about anything anymore. The man he saw reflected in the mirror even scared him. It was only two weeks before Christmas, and the Dark Lord had still not made any move to get Hermione back. On the contrary, the Dark Lord feared that Hermione was the one behind the failed attack on Malfoy Manor. Two members of the Order had been found and killed. He didn't know who, all he knew was that Hermione didn't have anything to do with that. He was certain of it.

It was the week before Christmas that Barty decided to take things in his own hands. He had not heard anything from or about his wife, and it was eating him up. For the first time in weeks, he left his office and went downstairs to the Great Hall, where the majority of the school was having lunch. Students and teachers all stood up, but they were shocked to see him, judging from their faces.

He didn't say a word. He just strode to the front of the Hall with large paces, his eyes clouded with rage. He noticed how several students shrank back when he passed them; his new and darker appearance probably made them even more scared of him. And they were right to be. With a flick of his wand, he made the huge decorated Christmas tree crash down before turning around to direct his rage at the Hall.

"How dare you set up a Christmas tree while my wife is missing? How dare you smile and laugh and have fun? The next one who smiles won't be around to celebrate Christmas at all," Barty growled. "Until my wife is back, there will be no fun, is that understood?"

"Yes, sir," a few disappointed voices sounded.

"Tomorrow I will start sweeping through the country to find her. Everything and everyone standing in my way shall be destroyed. So if any of you has any information for me concerning the whereabouts of my wife or the Order, then you can speak up now. It would save a lot of innocent lives," Barty proclaimed.

It was completely silent, and it annoyed Barty terribly.

"Have it your way then," he said. "Let's see how you like Hogsmeade getting burned to the ground."

Without spending more time or words on the matter, Barty walked back to the Entrance Hall. But his path was blocked by a fifth year Gryffindor.

"Norfolk, sir, they are in Norfolk. Somewhere in the north of Norfolk. My parents don't even know this. My father had to deliver something there, took me with him, and told me to wait for him. When he returned, he had been Obliviated. But I still remembered. Not the exact place, but it was in the north and close to a beach. I could hear the sea," the boy said.

"How is it that you haven't told me this before?" Barty snapped.

"I- it didn't seem relevant before, sir. And I could be wrong, maybe they moved. This was last summer, sir," the boy replied.

"You kept information from me. You should pray that I can find Mrs Crouch in Norfolk. If not, I will make you regret leading me the wrong way," Barty growled. "Now get out of my way."

The boy didn't need to be told twice. He jumped out of the way and Barty rushed outside without even thinking about a plan or strategy or anything else that would make this entire mission responsible and efficient. Not to think of the Dark Lord who wouldn't approve of this. On the other hand, if Barty succeeded in finding the Order, then the Dark Lord would praise him and forget his disobedience.

He gathered a team of two hundred men, and they apparated to a place just outside a small town in the north of Norfolk. It was cold and quiet, and light snow was falling down. The village was heavily decorated by Muggles with all sorts of lights and trees and shiny decorations. Hermione would have loved it.