5

When Hinata Shouyou received a call from his ex, Kageyama, he didn't answer.

He first thought he was dreaming or hallucinating, but after a few rings and pinching himself he realized it wasn't. Then he considered it to be some horrible prank, but he didn't know anyone who would do anything like that to him.

Then the rings stopped and the call went to voicemail.

When Yamaguchi told him that Kageyama wasn't speaking with anyone from Karasuno, Hinata angrily went home and dialed his number waiting to demand why he was avoiding them.

However the person who picked up was not at all the setter.

He realized he had dialed the wrong number and this was enough to scare him into reaching out again, like reality sinking in.

Hinata inhaled sharply, and dialed the number he knew too well.

He had to check it a couple of times just to be sure.

It rang a few times, and with every time he felt himself sweat more.

"Hello? Who is this..."

A tired voice came from the other side of the line.

"I'm pretty sure you just called me."

"Oh Shouyo- I mean Hinata! Sorry I dozed off after you didn't pick up."

"I could tell," Hinata bit on his lip nervously. "Wanna meet up tomorrow?"

Hinata was entangled in a deep embrace with his boyfriend, and it was the best feeling in the world. His last surgery was a success and he was no longer in danger of any sudden relapses.

"I still can't walk though." They were at Hinata's house and by themselves, just enjoying each others presence.

Kageyama held on to him tighter. "It doesn't matter, we don't have to worry about any other things."

Hinata sighed. "There's no point in life if I can't play volleyball." 

"That's stupid and you know it."

"Isn't it better though to try? The doctors offered me an experimental surgery option."

"And they also told you the risks."

Hinata pulled back from their hug and the loss of touch made him shiver a bit.

"I think it's good to have hope."

"Look at where you are, look at where you started," Kageyama sang in a soft voice, (That Would Be Enough, Hamilton). "The fact that you're alive is a miracle. Just stay alive, that would be enough."

They went to watch Hamilton together once before one of his countless surgeries and they both become a huge fan of the soundtrack.

"It's my decision Kageyama, I hoped that you would respect it."

Kageyama frowned. "I love you and  you know that I support you no matter what, but this is just way too dangerous."

"Imagine what it has been like for me!" Hinata hated that he was always breaking into tears but he couldn't stop the tears from streaming down his face.

"I don't pretend to know the challenges your facing," Kageyama held his boyfriend's face in his hands. "The worlds you keep erasing and creating in your mind. But I'm not afraid."

Kageyama pulled him into a hug again and Hinata sobbed quietly into him.

"Promise me you won't do the surgery."

"Just like you promised me that you wouldn't give up volleyball?"

"That's not fair," Kageyama replied. "I'm joining my varsity team."

"But you quit Karasuno after we lost to Nekoma in the first year!" Hinata frowned.

"I promise that I will pursue volleyball and never give up until my body fails me," Kageyama said. "If you don't do the surgery."

"Aight! Deals a deal."

It was safe to say that Hinata did forcefully request the surgery and it wasn't long after that when they completely cut contact.

They decided to meet up at Yamaguchi's place, which in Yamaguchi's exact words, it was a 'really really weird decision.'

Hinata arrived first and kept fidgeting around  with whatever he could get his hands on. If he wasn't stuck in a wheel chair he would be pacing around, and he was sure he would wear a hole in the carpet.

"Calm down," Yamaguchi called out from the kitchen. Hinata could tell he was nervous as well and took it out on baking instead, to keep himself distracted.

Hinata sniffed the air and grimaced. Something was definitely wrong.

"Did you burn something?"

"The oven's on fire!" Yamaguchi shouted in a panic.

At that exact moment, the front door burst open and Kageyama walked in, and took in the scene before him.

Hinata was frantically trying to roll his wheelchair into the kitchen while Yamaguchi was throwing white powder (likely baking powder) onto the oven. He also tried to fan the flame but ended up making bigger.

"Kageyama! How do you put out an oven fire!"

"Why do you expect me to know?" Kageyama whipped out his phone and dialed a number.

"Are you calling for firefighters?" Hinata was now backing away from the flame rather than trying to stop it, because whatever he did always seemed to end up making it worse.

"I'm calling Tsukishima."

"Why are you calling Tsukki?" Yamaguchi yelled before choking on the smoke. "Wait we should turn of the oven first!"

"Doesn't he know everythin- Hi Tsukishima I know this is unexpected, your boyfriend's oven is on fire. What do you mean this is exactly what you expected? Tell us how to stop it or come over and fix it yourself!"

"Ow, I think I burned myself!"

An hour later, the former first-years on the Karasuno team, Tsukishima, Yamaguchi, Hinata, and Kageyama, were all sitting outside the pinch server's home while they watched firefighters deal with the problem.

Yamaguchi chuckled a bit. "For some reason this is exactlty what I imagined out first reunion to be like." 

In the heat of the moment, the eye of the hurricane, all four of them burst out laughing just like old times. So much had changed but so much hadn't.

Hinata looked over at all three of their content faces and found himself lost in the dark-haired boy's eyes.

This wasn't so bad.

A/N: Yikes pls comment your thoughts so far. I'm 5 chapters in and so far I've been pretty good at publishing every week but I gotta admit that this might not last for long. The longest it'll take will probably be a two or three weeks a chapter, but without motivation or support it's kinda hard to write. That said I promiseeEEee that the next chapter will be next week!