8

"Why do you have to break my heart like that?!"

The first time Hinata yelled it at Kageyama, it was nothing but platonic competitive banter.

Kageyama had told his partner that he would never win in aerial combat against some opponent that he had long forgotten.

Never had he imagined that the short middle blocker would be the one shattering his heart to pieces.

His heart was still pounding in his chest and he could hear every beat. Hinata was going off about something that Kageyama had no answer to.

Kageyama was known to be caught up in the moment. Not even aware of his surroundings, when he was focused, it never ended well.

He screamed at his teammates to jump, run, faster, higher, non-stop until no one could keep up with him anymore.

Until someone did.

And that someone just ended up being the love of his life.

"TOSS IT TO ME!" Hinata would yell at the top of his lungs and the roles reversed; it was Kageyama trying to keep up with the shrimp.

This moment was no different.

As Hinata was frowning and lecturing him about ghosting all his friends, he couldn't help but stare at the shorter boy's lips.

Slowly he felt himself inching closer and closer to him until he captured Hinata's lips with his.

It was the spur of the moment, and he was just too engrossed to stop himself.

But the fear and anxiety hit him immediately as he pulled away, remembering the pain, the heartbreak Hinata caused him.

He practically ran away and went to try to distract himself. He had volleyball practice soon, so he headed there.

The college campus was huge, and Kageyama was still unfamiliar with most of it. Considering that the only places he stopped at was the building where most of his classes were, the gymnasium, and vending machine where he buys a carton of milk or yogurt.

As he was inserting the coins to get some milk, he heard Iwaizumi call out to him.

"Oh, you're here."

Kageyama retrieved the carton, and turned around to face his friend. Iwaizumi looked beaten and exhausted and it was quite the sight.

"I've never seen you like this, what happened?"

"Well you made me go get Oikawa," Iwaizumi yawned. "Should I say more?"

"...Yes?"

"OK fine, I dragged him to his house but no one was home and I didn't find a key on him, so I dragged him to my house," Iwaizumi groaned. "The moment he started to sober up, he burst into tears and cried into my arms until he passed out."