21 || The Bloody Night

Reese Nygma could feel her heart collide against a wall and shatter into an infinite number of pieces. It didn't beat. Her lungs had been ripped apart. She wanted to believe it was all in her imagination. I'm having a phase. This is just a fucking nightmare! But it slowly sunk in as her partner lay on the floor. Tears burned the rims of her eyes, blurring her vision.

"No." She whispered, her head cocked, beginning to cry. "No, no, no!" Her body sped to her lover's side, and Theo was shoved aside. When he got up, he proceeded to approach her, but she had gained the upper hand, pointing a gun, "Get the fuck away from me, son of a bitch." She growled. His hands raised, surrendering.

No doubt, all the harm she had caused had finally come to bite her in the ass. And it hurt so, so much.

Jerome Valeska lay in front of her, his beautiful face spewing blood. Under his wound, a large pool of crimson accumulated on the ground. He was gasping, trying to sustain life a little longer.

She whimpered, cupping his face in her trembling, cold hands, "Jerome." She placed the gun down and quickly ripped fabric from her dress and held it at his throat, putting pressure on the wound. It was terrifying how pale he became fast, "Don't you dare leave me, J." The girl scolded with a firm voice, but her fear betrayed her. Wavering it.

He was breathing heavily, on the verge of passing out, "Doll... run - run... away -" He croaked, voice barely audible anymore.

Her thumbs wiped away blood that began creeping into his eyes. She shook her head vigorously, "Please, please, don't go." This could not be happening now.

"I lo-love... you... Reese Nyg...ma." Jerome wheezed, starting to say his goodbyes. His green eyes shone like crystals under the bright lights - Tears making them glow. He felt it become blurry, his mind becoming a haze of memories.

Nothing could resemble the pain she was feeling now. All she'd been through in the past hurt less than this. This was the one person she managed to relate to on a much deeper level. Jerome was the one she wanted. He couldn't leave her now; it was too early, too sudden, and too scary. He needed to stay, to love her just as much as she loved him.

"I love you, J. I love you. Oh, god. I'm so sorry." She whispered and repeated the last sentence, feeling blame. It was not her fault, but she felt she owed it to him. Her hand gently squeezed his over his chest.

The weak ginger nodded, beckoning her forward; a sweet and bloody kiss was shared. He let his lips curl up at the warmth of the girl's mouth. He could feel dull pain; all he could do was welcome it. "Live... for... me. Live -" He croaked, a single tear rolled to the side of his eye. His facial muscles strained as he tried to speak, but death came as sweet relief.

Upon hearing his sigh, her face fell, and she stared. Movement wasn't coming. His emerald eyes seemed to lose their spark; Lifeless and cold. Nevertheless, his haunting grin remained sculpted there.

"Jerome?" She stammered breathlessly, but no response was given to her. Not a breath. It was over - He was gone. Her face scrunched, pained, and this time, the sobs were unstoppable. She hugged him tightly and squeezed her eyes shut.

"Reese?" Her head swiveled to meet eyes with the blonde detective, who seemed to be giving her sympathy. She pressed her lips on Jerome's temple before standing, revolver in hand. The crowd stared with expectancy, "Turn yourself in. There's nothing left for you to do for Jerome."

She whimpered, "Jim -"

"Ed loves you and wants you to be safe." The detective assured the sniffling girl. He went to move closer but stopped when she pointed the gun at her temple. An eruption of gasps came. "Don't. Don't do that."