27 || Bitter Sweet

The piano melody pierced my sleep, Edward and Oswald singing along in synchronization. The sound was muffled at first but became clearer with time. I blinked awake with a groan and slowly sat up, continuing to feel lethargic. My gaze turned. The two men were singing their hearts out to the same song from yesterday. They harmonized beautifully, but really? This couldn't wait? It's like eight a.m.

I wrapped the soft blanket around me, indulging in the warmth for as long as possible. It was freezing this morning. Winter was coming soon; I was waiting excitedly for all the snow and Christmas. I wasn't in the best circumstances, but I hoped I would spend it all right.

Edward's head turned in my direction, his eyes spotting my awoken (and tired) presence, and he smiled. I couldn't see myself, but I probably had the bitchest morning face in the world.

"The path is dark
So dark I cannot see
But I will not fear"

My brother sang at the top of his lungs, a radiant grin mirroring Oswald's. I couldn't help but do the same. It was wholesome to see him smiling; for the first time, it wasn't because of Kristen or because he was seeking approval. It was genuine. I also appreciated that Edward was back on the piano. He had always been passionate about playing it since he was a boy; he's been so stressed lately that it's slipped his mind. It helped him let his insecurities go and escape sadness. My brother was the most authentic version of himself on the piano.

"For my mother looks over me!" The two laughed, making me giggle at their vivid enthusiasm.

"What the hell?" Our heads turned toward the confused voice. Jim Gordon had awoken from his beaten-up-induced slumber.

I hummed, pondering, "It is very strange to wake up to this, isn't it?" He held his head painfully.

"At last." Penguin staggered toward the detective, beaming. Jim, on the other hand, was starting to take in his surroundings, and his eyes widened when their gaze fell on me. "How are we feeling?"

"Not good." The blonde man replied, wincing. I grimaced. After being brutally beaten by every unstable man in Gotham, it's understandable. He turned toward me, "Reese?"

I smiled, "Mornin', Jimmy."

His ocean blues lingered on my features before they turned toward my brother. "Nygma?" His eyebrows furrowed.

Edward peeked from around Oswald, he flashed his teeth happily. "Hi."

The raven-haired man chuckled, "Long story... they're friends."

"Friends?" Jim questioned, eyeing me.

It makes sense for him to wonder how a man like Penguin could associate himself with me — A 'psycho'. He was a gangster, and I was a girl that had lost my mind. As far as Jim knew, Edward was just a strange Forensic scientist, so our worlds had no reason to collide... but they had.

"Mhm. I met Reese just yesterday, and we've already bonded." He admitted. The two of us shared knowing grins - torturing Mister Leonard yesterday. I didn't feel bad about it, it was entertaining. My promise to Gordon was long forgotten at the moment.

Jim narrowed his eyes, "Do I wanna know how?"

"No." This immediately made him look in my direction, more suspicious than before.

"You're welcome, by the way." Interrupted Oswald, the tone in his voice resembling a humble one. My eyebrow raised, "No thanks needed for saving your life and all."

I rolled my eyes, "Is slapping someone into unconsciousness considered helpful?" Jim and I exchanged a look of agreement (I like to think), and the detective then shrugged. Penguin seemed unimpressed. "I, on the other hand, tended all your wounds at one in the morning... You're welcome." I smirked when Penguin scoffed loudly.