24 || Alter Ego

The giant, metal loft door opened at around two in the morning. It was loud, but the sound hadn't been enough to wake up the sleeping man, lips parted loosely, glasses slanted, and on the verge of sliding off the couch.

Reese smiled at the sight. The walk had taken longer than anticipated, and she guessed her brother would be asleep by now. Quietly, she slipped off her scarf, gloves, and coat, placing them on the dark green leather chair by the front door. She walked toward the kitchen, taking the containers filled with leftovers and heating a portion. Eating in silence, the girl ate through the pain before cleaning the mess she had made when she was done, the clutter finally waking Edward.

He stood from the worn sofa and walked toward his sister, who was washing the dishes. "Why didn't you wake me up?"

She glimpsed over her shoulder, watching as he rubbed his tired eyes and yawned. Her eyes squinted from a smile, her muscles unable to contort, "No need." Thankfully, Ed was too tired to reprimand her. She tried to use short sentences, but it wasn't what he wanted; if he had it his way, she would just shut up and rest. Reese shut off the faucet and turned to her brother, eyes full of hope, "Kristen?"

Immediately, the latter's face turned pink, "Um... We kissed." He commented with a dreamy voice

The girl's eyes widened. She excitedly jumped on her toes before wrapping her arms around her brother's thin figure. He beamed, squeezing Reese back before pulling. An excited expression remained in her eyes — how could she not be excited for her brother? It was everything he had ever wanted.

"Does this mean you approve?"

Her nose scrunched, body shrugging uncertain, "Meh."

Ed huffed, but he knew it would take longer before she liked Kristen. They were protective of each other, and Ree had seen how dismissive she'd been towards him. He understood why she wasn't fond of Kristen. "Alright, I won't try to force her on you. Just know that she's a lovely woman, and she's actually interested in me."

Reese cocked her head, squinting, looking kind of like a confused puppy before scribbling on her notepad, Better be, or I'll gut her.

He rolled his eyes, chuckling humorously, "Look at you, toughie." He could see a mischievous glint in her eyes, knowing too well she sometimes didn't have a zip on her mouth. If she gained courage, she would confront anyone. An eyebrow was raised, not impressed with his mocking. It made him smile. "I'm flattered you want to protect me, but I'll be fine, you amazing woman."

She snorted quietly. "Cheesy," Reese muttered and began shaking her head at him, frowning, writing once again, I'm not that great.

"Hey, don't go downgrading yourself. You are worth everything I've done, and maybe we've kinda messed up?" He scrunched his eyebrows. They paused momentarily before looking at each other and snickered - It was way more than 'kinda' at this point. Ed placed a hand over her shoulder. "But you have been an incredible sister and my best friend."

Her heart swelled, eyes blinking tears as she scribbled quickly, You asshole. She wiped the salty liquid away before it began streaming down her face, then pat her chest with false annoyance. It's too late at night to be emotional. Edward grinned, embracing his little sister and placing a peck over her temple. She groaned and pulled away, turning toward the dishes, but internally, she was content.

"I'll help." He chuckled.

The two got to work. She washed, and he dried the dishes. Meanwhile, a one-sided conversation about Ed's date came to be. The youngest brunette stood there, entertained by his story, excited her brother had received affection from the woman he loved.