Chapter 14

0062

Kongpob

Kong

Darling

Those are the names Arthit uses to address Kongpob depending on his mood, from annoyance to overwhelming affection, the last one getting more and more infrequent.

Today, Arthit calls him 0062, not that he calls him that now on his face because he doesn't want to see him today anyway. He only mutters it on his own.

So what if 0062 carried Praepailin? Maybe she's just hurt.

Why? Was there no one else there to help her?

For sure, 0062 volunteered himself because it's another chance to be a hero to a pretty girl.

And acting like his boyfriend? Really?

He hasn't met nor called Kongpob since the cafeteria incident. Kongpob tried to call him several times, but Arthit ignored them all. When Kongpob texts, he only responds with short answers. It's been days, but his jealousy restrains him from missing his boyfriend.  

He thought he got over the jealousy he felt that day at the mall, but he could never be more wrong. He and Kongpob developed more during the short time they're together that now, he wants Kongpob all to himself, not that he fully realizes it. His mind, for some reason, morphs it into the idea that Kongpob will be better if he's not with him, that he needs to let him go. Arthit logic.

"Hello! Earth to Arthit!" Knot waves his hand at Arthit's face.

Arthit is deep in his thoughts that he forgets he's not alone. Knot went straight from the gym to Arthit's room so they can go to the university together.

"You know you can talk to me if you have a problem, right?" That's all Knot chooses to say.

"Don't worry, Knot. I'm just still sleepy." He forces a smile and goes back to preparing his things.

Knot, seeing everything that day, knows what's up with his friend, but he can't help until Arthit tells everything to him.

Many times, Knot thought about telling Arthit that he knows everything, but he knows it's important for Arthit to do it himself. Coming out is his thing, and Knot doesn't want to take it from him.

~

"Ai'Oak, what are those?" Em loudly asks.

Waving different colors of face towels, Oak responds, "They're my gift to the seniors."

Em and Tew laugh hysterically at their friend's obvious lack of creativity as Kongpob shakes his head. They are in the mall to buy gifts for the Thank You party. Em forced Kongpob to come even though he initially declined. They need their friend to get out of his room since he's been alone and quiet these past few days. Kongpob has been helping him for years now, so he's trying to do his best to return the favor and be a good friend.

"How about you, Kong, what will you buy for our seniors?" Tew asks.

Kongpob looks at his basket. "I'll buy perfume for my direct line seniors." Tew and Em look at the basket, and the bottles of perfume don't look cheap. "I also plan to buy chocolates for the hazer team. P'Bright seems to like them anyway."

Tew nods. "I think I'm going to buy some snacks for the hazers as well. Do you know what they want?"

Kongpob starts to think. His conversations with Arthit already informed him of what his friends like to eat: Knot and Prem like potato chips, Tutah likes gummy worms, and Bright loves chocolates. However, he chooses not to spill the information since there's no way he could explain how he knew all of them.

Feeling his friend's discomfort, Em answers for him. "I'm sure they'll eat anything." Kongpob forces a smile.

"Okay. So let's pay for this stuff so we can move to the grocery store next," Tew says.

"Oak, are you sure you will buy them those? They might use it to strangle your neck," Em jokes, trying to lighten up the mood to cheer up Kongpob.

In the grocery store, the friends go their ways searching for snacks they think their seniors want. Kongpob goes to the chocolates aisle and picks five large bars.

It's been days since he and Arthit have a proper talk, and he's unsure why his boyfriend is avoiding him. He tried reaching out to him, but all he got are short text replies. Somehow, he thinks Arthit changed his mind about their relationship; maybe, being with a guy and hiding what they have are not really his thing.

He starts to tear up thinking about the worst situation that could happen that he had to turn around so that no one would see his eyes. He takes a deep breath and composes himself. He needs to let Arthit know how much he means to him. Maybe then, Arthit will realize that there's nothing to worry about.

He goes back to the shelf where he got the chocolates, and he returns one bar to it. To the leader of the hazer team, he plans to give a different gift.

~

On their way home, Em asks Kongpob to walk with him. He uses the excuse of "I miss my best friend," so Kongpob agrees.

"Kong, I know you don't always ask for help, but..." Em says, awkwardly. "... if you need something, you know... err... I'm always here." At least, Em tries.

Kongpob gives him a questioning look. This is not like the Em he knows.

"Stop giving me that look, Kong. I know you have a problem. I'm just... you know... even if my advice can be dumb, I can still listen."

They are silent for a while. Kongpob thinks about coming out to Em. He's his best friend after all, and for sure, he'll understand, unaware that Em already understands.

However, he hasn't consulted Arthit yet, and they agreed to do it when both of them are ready. Even during this time that Arthit isn't talking to him, Kongpob always keeps him in mind.

"Thank you, Em. But I'm okay. I think I'm just tired."

Em looks down. Somehow, he thinks it's his fault that he looks like he won't accept Kongpob. However, this issue is not about him, so he looks back at his friend and nods.

When they get to Kongpob's room, Em sees how Kongpob immediately stares at the window. Even though he's not involved, he feels bad for his best friend.

He lies down on Kongpob's bed and puts his arms at the back of his head. Knot's voice during their meeting enters his head. Suddenly, he remembers something and thinks of an idea.

"Kong, have you met Prae's girlfriend?"

Kongpob takes his stare away from the balcony outside. He's curious why Em is suddenly asking about Prae's girlfriend. "No, why?"

"I met her last week. I saw her and Prae when I was going to class. Prae introduced me to her."

Kongpob just nods.

"She's very pretty. And they look so happy. I'm glad Praepailin found someone that loves her the same way she loves her."

Kongpob just looks at him. He's right about his best friend, and he can't help but form a smile on his face.

Em takes it as a sign of success.

He goes home without Kongpob opening up to him, but he's sure he's made a good impression. Maybe someday, it will happen.

After Em leaves, Kongpob fixes the things he bought from the mall and tidies his room a bit. Taking the chocolate bars off the bag, he remembers that he needs to do something. Even though Arthit and him are not in good terms right now, he needs to give him a gift, so a gift he will make.

Hurriedly, he sits on his study chair and brings out a piece of paper from his drawer. After a minute of reflection, he starts writing:

P'Arthit krup,

I once told you that I wanted you to write me a love letter. But today, let me be the first to write one to you...