Chapter Fifty-Two

Draco

            I went with Eve to Kings Cross Station that next morning, dragging the trunk for her through the brick wall entrance onto the platform. We made our way quickly through the crowds of students and parents, and I kept my head ducked low to avoid unwanted attention. I was sure there were quite a few people here who didn't have any intention of being in the same room as me, so I tried to keep my face hidden as I helped Eve lift her trunk onto the train.

            Her trunk was loaded all too soon, and then the two of us were standing just a few feet from the train as students parted from their parents around us. Eve was watching a first year kiss his mother goodbye before hurrying onto the train, and her voice was soft as she said to me, "I feel like I should be warning people. You know, telling them not to get on the train. They've got no idea what Hogwarts is going to be like."

            I bit my lip, looking around as well and seeing all the younger students with bright smiles on their faces as they left their parents. Most of them were probably thinking that Hogwarts would be safer than staying at home—and right now, I had no idea if that was true or not. I told her after a moment, "I know. But...I mean, we don't know what it's going to be like either. Maybe it won't be so bad."

            It was a lie, but Eve nodded anyway. She looked down at the ground as she said quietly, "Yeah. Maybe."

            Someone bumped past my shoulder, and I turned to see a seventh year Hufflepuff who had been in my Transfiguration class last year. She sent me a withering glare before boarding the train, making my stomach turn to water and my head automatically turn back towards Eve. I was almost scared to look around, knowing that there were probably more parents and students around us that were glaring in my direction. Pushing away the sick feeling in my gut, I tried to ignore the eyes on me; I couldn't be worrying about something like that when this was the last time I would see Eve for a very long time.

            She was looking down at my shoes instead of at me, the minute hand on the clock above our heads slowly drawing closer to the twelve. Her hands were clasped in front of her, the side of her thumb twisting the gold band on her ring finger anxiously. I opened my mouth to say something, but I had to clear my throat quickly to get my voice to work again. "I guess...I guess this is it."

            "Yeah," Eve said softly, finally looking back up at me and letting me see that her eyes were cloudy. "This is it."

            And then I couldn't hold myself back anymore and I was pulling her to my chest, my arms tight around her as though we couldn't possibly be close enough. Eve's face was buried in my shoulder, and I breathed in the scent of lilacs in her hair—because I was terrified I was going to forget every tiny detail of her the second she walked away from me.

            "Write to me tonight, okay?" I told her seriously, my voice muffled slightly from all her hair. "I want to know everything. And Owl me tomorrow, too, and—"

            "I will," Eve mumbled quickly, "you know I will. You have to write as often as you can, I mean it."

            "Of course, I promise I will—"

            But the train was letting out a loud whistle, and Eve was pulling away slightly to see the clock—it was leaving in less than two minutes. My heart was pounding so rapidly that it felt like I was about to panic, and Eve was choking out to me, "I have to go. I love you, I've got to get on—"

            "I love you," I told her frantically, my hands slipping away from her shoulders as she started for the train. It suddenly felt like the world was ending, and it was like the train station walls were closing in on me as Eve reached the steps. Her hand was on the railing as I called after her desperately, "I'll be standing right here when you come back for Christmas. Okay? I swear, I'll be right here."