Epilogue

'Ink', Coldplay

'Fall For You', Secondhand Serenade

'Wipe Your Eyes', Maroon 5

'My Everything', Ariana Grande

'Little Bird', Ed Sheeran

~*~

Six Years Later

Eve

            On the day my name changed from Hawkings to Malfoy, it rained for hours.

            We were underneath the large, translucent canopy to shield back the raindrops, water thrumming against the clear plastic high above our heads as Draco slid the ring across the bump of my knuckle onto my left hand. The bottom edges of my dress had been soaked through by the damp grass and half the crowd had needed to abandon their muddy shoes as they sat in folding chairs around us, but no one seemed to mind. As Draco tilted my head up to kiss me for the first time as husband and wife, there was loud clapping and elated cheering rising up around us both.

            I turned towards the rows of people, my cheeks flushed pink and a smile so wide it hurt, my heart pounding against the inside of my chest to the same time of the pouring rain above our heads. My aunt was getting teary-eyed in the front row, her eyes glistening as she smiled up at us both and clapped happily. Lucius and Narcissa were closer towards the back of the rows, Draco's father standing stiffly yet still applauding quietly; I knew he was uncomfortable because Harry and Ginny Potter were only just on the other side of the tent, although his blank expression disguised it well.

            A rumble of thunder echoed through the air as Draco took my hand in his, his palm warm and smooth against my own. I snuck a glance at him out of the corner of my eye, trying not to laugh as a tiny leak in the tent's roof above us dripped a few cold droplets down onto his suit. Giving his hand a squeeze and nodding towards the downpour of rain around us, I whispered with a hint of a smile, "Bad luck?"

            "No way," Draco grinned cheekily, taking a step down towards the aisle ahead of us, "you and me, we don't need luck. Mrs. Malfoy."

            The two of us started down the aisle between the rows of chairs together, smiling uncontrollably and clasping hands tightly—the sounds of applause and rainfall rising up like music around us both.

~*~

Two Years Later

            Sunlight filtered through the clear windowpanes, dappling across the crumpled white bed sheets that had scarcely been slept in. The smell of fresh paint was tickling my nose, and taped cardboard boxes still lined the bedroom walls around us—but unpacking was the last thing on our minds.

            Draco kissed me through his grin, his right hand splayed out across my still-flat stomach with the sheets tangled around us. Autumn leaves fluttered past the window beside us as he mumbled against my skin, "I'm so happy, Eve, I'm so happy—"

            I was giggling, his lips tickling my cheeks and his hand still warm against my stomach as though he was already searching to feel the beating of a second, tiny heartbeat. Draco was kissing my neck, smiling as I squealed and tried to roll away across the pillows. Still grinning widely, he told me softly, "I'm going to take care of you. Both of you."