▪Chapter X▪

I pulled at his hoodie and made him stand up from the crouched position he was in. I looked back to the building, noticing that Logan had already disappeared inside.

"Liam what are you doing here?"

He looked at me in confusion.

"Jade, you work for Hexagon?" He stuttered a bit in disbelief and I took in a breath. I couldn't give him a straight answer, or any answer for that matter. I had no intention of lying to him, but I could not exactly tell him the truth either.

"Ummm,"

"Jade don't lie to me."

"Yes."

He pulled away from my grasp and threw his hands up in the air, turning his back towards me as he let out an annoyed groan.

"Jade you're working for them?"

"I just said yes. Why are you so worked up about it?"

"Jade they're bad people."

I hesitated before answering, not expecting the response that I got.

"No they're not. How is saving the city deemed as something bad?" I questioned.

"It is when you have ulterior motives."

I shook my head and looked at him again. No it can't be. Logan sought me out and made me realise that I could use my talents to do good, there's no way he would condone any heinous crime.

"No! I don't believe you. It can't be possible! I was-"

"Jade listen to-"

"No buddy! You listen to me. You think you can just walk into my life and start questioning my ways? Well no way, okay. I'm so sick and tired-"

"Jade Hexagon killed my parents!"
He shouted at the top of his lungs and I was tamed, my rage subsiding.

Everything went silent and it was as if time halted. Hearing that the organisation I work for possibly killed the parents of a kid at my school made me cease my defensiveness.

As if not hearing clearly what he told me, I asked, "They what?"

"Hexagon killed my parents." He let out a tired breath and leaned against the wall of the alley.

"I don't believe you." I said bluntly ignoring the fact that, he too, had feelings that could easily be scarred.

"They did. Two years ago. I came home from school and as I was about to walk up to our house, I saw a male get out with a bloody knife in his hand. I waited for him to drive away then I ran to the front door. When I opened the door my parents were lying stiff and rigid on the soaked in their own blood."

He stopped and stared into thin air. He looked damaged and hurt which was the only indication I I was grasping on, that he could possibly be telling me the truth. "Since that day I made it my goal to get justice for my parents."

"How do you know for sure it was Hexagon?" I asked.

"I probably shouldn't be telling you this but I guess I have no other choice," he paused, debating whether he should utter his next words or just keep it at bay. "When I was 15 I joined a secret organisation called Phoenix. It's a group of teens across the country who have been through something traumatic in their lives and need a place to take refuge. We help the police take down criminals whenever we can, anonymously. The leader recruited me when he saw me boxing in a club one night. He said he needed someone with my skill set, and in return I asked him to help me catch whoever killed my parents, a little quid pro quo. A few months ago we had gotten a lead. A couple was killed in a house, stabbed to death just like my parents. We went to scope out the scene and I found a bullet in the house. After analysing it in our lab and doing a few research of my own, I found out that the gun that was used to fire the bullet was registered to a Logan Reed," I flinched and kept listening. "When I pulled up a picture of him I recognised him instantly. The sole face that had been stuck in my head for two years now."