▪Chapter XIV▪

"Peek-A-Boo, I see you? What does that even mean?" asked Liam.

I yanked the paper out of his hands, "It means you're being watched genius."

Liam and I sat in the van analysing the paper, not that there was much to see, as Steven drove us back to Phoenix.

"Can you trace this?"

I looked at Steven with a 'not the least bit impressed' facial expression as the words rolled off his tongue.

"Steven I'm a hacker, not a witch!"

"So then I've always been wrong," commented Liam which earned him a strike at the back of the head. He squealed and complained as Steven parked in his parking space.

"Well this definitely got us nowhere," I said as I got out of the van.

We walked back into the bakery, going down to the Base of Operations.

"Maybe I can track the computer's serial number," I suggested.

"It will be of no use, I doubt we will get anywhere." Steven had a serious look on his face and it was nothing compared to Logan's. His was more scary.

"Fine, if you say so."

The was a brief silence before Liam questioned me.

"When are you planning to go back to Hexagon?"

"Umm, tomorrow after school maybe."

"Okay, no pressure."

"You don't have to worry, I told you that I would do it and I plan on keeping my promise."

He looked at me, definitely convinced that he was putting pressure on me.

"It's okay Liam, you're not forcing me to do anything. Hexagon has to pay."

He nodded and a small crease formed on his forehead and I knew another question was coming my way.

He hesitated before asking, "Why did you join them?"

"Why did you join Phoenix?"

"I told you, to find my parents' killer."

"Exactly."

I started walking towards the elevator and he stopped me.

"Your parents were murdered?"

"No, but my dad left me when I was 10 and that's almost equivalent to losing a parent."

"How does joining a secret organisation help you cope with that?"

"Redemption. Illegal hacking is bad, but it's the only talent I've got up my sleeves. It helps me keep my mind working, codes don't lie like people do. If I could take the bad I'm good at and channel it into something worthwhile, my heart is at ease, and that's assuming I even have a heart."

"Wow, I didn't know."

"It's okay, I don't expect you to carry the burden of knowing my story."

He shrugged and I continued,

"I think I should head home."

"You don't want me to drop you off?"

"Nah, it's alright, I love walking, helps me think."

He looked at me before reluctantly nodding and heading back inside. In the cold and gloomy weather I walked the same streets and alleys I usually do to get home, negative thoughts on my mind and my lonliness my most trusted companion.

I don't  get it. It's been six years and I'm used to feeling lonely and secluded, it's the best feeling ever. But something felt different. Being alone started bothering me and I could not seem to shake the feeling off.