Muggle Outings

Chapter 15: Muggle Outings

-Bex p.o.v.-

We landed in a dark alleyway, voices could be heard all around us. The streets were busy, we could see, cars zooming past the opening at the end of the alley as well as people hurrying down the sidewalks. James nodded towards the entrance, we made our way towards it and merged with the crowd easily.

"Where are we?" Sirius asked softly, his arm wrapping around my waist and pulling me closer so no distance was between us.

I glanced at him in surprise, shocked by his touch. I wanted to think that he just wanted me closer to him; but I came to the conclusion that he didn't want us to be separated and lost in the crowded city.

"London. There's a small diner nearby, they have the best breakfast," James informed us, leading the way.

The diner was only two blocks away and it wasn't anywhere as busy as the streets around it were. Hardly anyone was inside of the building, only an old couple, a man arguing at the breakfast bar, the waitress he was arguing with, and the cook that could be seen through a rectangular window behind the bar.

We entered and the waitress looked away from the man, "I've got customers John, you'll have to wait as they take priority over you."

James grinned at the lady, walking up to the bar next to the man named John. "Morning ma'am."

"Good morning, kids. My name's Cynthia and I'll be your waitress. Take a seat wherever you please and I'll be with you in just one moment." Cynthia disappeared under the counter and popped back up a second later with menus in her hands. She followed us as we made our way to a booth against the side windows. "Can I start you off with something to drink?" She asked, holding up her handheld writing pad and a pen.

"We'll just have some coffee," James answered for all of us.

She nodded and left our table, promising to return with a kettle of coffee. Cynthia was obviously an older lady, nearing her sixties at the least. Her hair seemed to be a perm, the curls in a tight position. And her eyes were an aged looking brown, full of experience and soft with a grandmother's kindness.

"What do you recommend James?" I asked, looking across the booth at him. Somehow, probably due to the fact that Sirius' arm was still wrapped around me, I was sitting next to Sirius in the booth.

He shrugged, "I've tried almost everything here, and it is all delicious. Anything you pick will be great."

I nodded, glancing through my menu. "I think I'll be getting the fry-up, it's a bit different than the regular, I guess, but it seems good."

Sirius leaned closer to me, looking at my menu. "Eggs, sausage, bacon, toast, hash browns, and mushrooms," he read. "I'll have the same, I suppose."

Cynthia reappeared a couple minutes later, carrying a kettle of coffee and three mugs. She placed each mug down in front of us and started to pour the coffee, "you kids know what you want?"

"Yes, I think we have it all picked out," James responded.

When she finished with the coffee, she pulled her notepad back out and looked to me, "what can I get you sweetheart?"

"I'll have the fry-up."

"How would you like your eggs?" She asked, beginning to write away on the paper. She glanced at me briefly before looking back at her writing as her hand moved across the pad.

"Sunny side up, please," I smiled, handing her my menu.

"And you?" She looked at Sirius.

"I'll have the same, though I'll have my eggs as anything but sunny side up." Sirius made a face at the end of his sentence and I frowned slightly.