Work

Organizing her papers into their proper folders, Yasmine tapped them against her desk and placed them neatly in her drawer.

"Hey what did you do for the weekend?"

Yasmine laughed, "You know you ask me that every Monday, right?"

Her coworker Sam gave her a bashful smile, "Sorry."

"No it's fine. It's slow anyway." Yasmine motioned to the silent lobby before turning in her seat, "I went to a party with a friend of mine but it got broken up pretty early because the neighbors complained and security came."

Sam widened his eyes, "Did you get kicked out?"

"Nah, the guy who had the apartment managed to talk his way out of the situation but everyone pretty much left after that."

"You have a pretty interesting life outside of work. It makes for good stories."

"Is that why you always ask?" Yasmine asked chuckling.

"Pretty much. You are kinda like a live book."

Yasmine shrugged, "Ah well thanks. It's gotten a lot more exciting since I ran into an old friend from back home."

"Yeah? Where did you used to live?"

"Chicago."

"That's a long way from California."

"Yeah. I moved out here a little after I finished high school? And I've been here ever since. What about you? Were you born here?"

"Yeah. Orange County is where the rest of my family is. I wanted to be more around the city and the lights, you know the livelihood of LA."

Yasmine laughed through her nose, "Yeah, I know what you mean."

Their attention turned to a petite guy with big glasses adorning his face, his wide eyes turned to them frantically, "Did you hear?"

"No, what?" Yasmine asked.

"A new position for Financial Manager opened up this morning and they are already looking for people to interview."

A gasp sounded two seats down from them. They turned to see Jenny brisk walk to their positions, "When did you hear this and from who?" She demanded, a fierce look in her eyes.

"I heard it just now from Charlie in Marketing when he was talking to Grace." He squeaked.

"Oh my god how dare they."

"You going for the spot Jenny?" Sam asked with a small smile.

"Well of course! But they should have at least be interviewing me already, I've been here for nearly five years!"

Everyone silently nodded but stopped as soon as she groaned, "No one bother me! I have to think of a strategy."

Sinking into her seat again, Jenny huddled into her papers and began writing silently.

"No one tell her I also want to apply for the position." Yasmine whispered to her two coworkers.

They giggled quietly and nodded to her.

~.~.~.~.~

"Hey babe? How about some Chicken Parmesan?"

"Sounds good!"

Taking the chicken out of the refrigerator, Yasmine set the package into the sink to let it sit before taking out other ingredients to start cooking.

"So how was it after I left?" Jack asked, coming into the kitchen and sitting up on the counter to watch her cook.

Yasmine turned her back to him, looking for mixing bowls, "It was good. Went out. Had fun. Came back home."

"The party I went to was killer. We had some celebrities come through. It was awesome, I wish you would have been there."

She rolled her eyes before turning to him with a smile, "Sounds like fun." Setting the bowls on the counter, Yasmine began cracking eggs into one.

"It was. I didn't come home till late that night didn't I?" Jack hopped down from the counter and went to the fridge for something to drink.

"Yeah, I don't remember." Yasmine ran her fingers through the flour in the bowl.

Hearing her phone ring, she looked around and tried to spot it.

"I think your phone is in the room, love." Jack said, taking out a water bottle.

"Oh. Can you get it for me?"

"Sure."

Yasmine waited for him as she cut open the chicken and silently prepped the food.

"Babe?" She called as she went to the sink to wash her hands after handling the chicken.

Hearing stomps come from the room, she looked up to see Jack putting on his jacket with an annoyed expression.

"Are you okay?" She asked.

"Great." He answered, throwing her phone on the counter and leaving right after, slamming the door behind him.

Looking down at her phone, she read the text on the screen and sighed.

David 😈:
Had fun with you the other night, I think we can both agree that needs to happen again 😉

~.~.~.~.~

This one is a little short so I apologize for that but the next few days are going to be a little hectic for me so I wanted to get this one out in case I don't update for awhile

Anyway thanks for reading! Tell me what you think and or vote!

Happy readings!