Chapter 1

Chapter 1

--------------------

"I'm so sorry, Soah," a woman cried, wiping away her tears. "I'm so sorry."

What? Where am I? What am I doing here? My name is Soah?

I look down at myself and realize I'm wearing a bright layered robe with a red shawl covering my head. It was decorated with glittering beads and jewels.

A group of people guided me outside to a lake, a wooden boat tied to the dock's pole. They helped me climb inside and then untied the rope, letting me slowly drift away.

"Please don't hate us," they said. "We also didn't want this to happen."

"But we're very grateful."

"Now the village can be saved because of you."

All I could hear were empty words. I didn't believe they truly felt saddened by my departure.

I reached far out in the lake, not seeing anything in sight. After a while, the water started to rumble and churn. The wind began to roar. The water spun around and around, turning into a large whirlpool, sucking everything into it... including me.

"!"

Even though I was so terrified, I couldn't cry or scream. I could only grip the sides of the boat, anticipating my demise.

I was sucked into the water.

--------------------

"What is this place?"

I was sprawled on the sand, my clothes and hair soaking wet. The cries of seagulls and the tranquil crashing of the waves were my only companions. I lifted myself off the sand and got into a sitting position. I was even more confused than ever.

Out in the distance, I could see floating chunks of rock in the air, the water seeming to flow off of its edges. There were old fashioned buildings and an air balloon carrying a small house.

"Welcome." An old man walked up to me and offered his hand. "I am in charge of the palace. My name is Yook-oh."

I reached for his hand but then hesitated. I didn't trust this man since he's from this strange place, but I also didn't have anywhere else to go.

I then took his hand, and he helped me back on my feet.

"Please follow me. I will take you to the water god."

Water god?

I decided to find out about this water entity. Bunching up the bottom of my dress, I followed the old man to meet the water god.

--------------------

"Please wait right here."

The old man left me in the pavilion and walked off to the main building of the palace. Now that I was all alone, I began to sink inside the thoughts of my mind.

I can't remember anything. What my true name was or where I came from did not come across my mind. My whole mind was blank, not a single memory remained. All I knew was that my name here was Soah.

Thump, thump, thump.

A rubber ball bounced in front of me and rolled to my feet. Picking it up, I surveyed my surroundings to see if someone dropped this. My head stopped as my eyes laid upon a little boy in beautiful clothing. He stared at the ball at my hand in silence.

"Um... here." I offered him the ball. He walked towards me and took it into his hands. Then he went right past me, not acknowledging my presence.

"I got ignored," I laughed.

After a while, the old man still didn't return, so I went and explored the grounds of the palace. The place was a complete maze. Every twist and turn was different from the next. I'm certain I got myself lost.

"I should've just waited," I sighed, regretting my decision.

I was in an area with a large pool of water with pelicans and lotus flowers.

There was also a man standing in the water.

"!"

Is he the water god?

As if sensing I was there, he slowly turned around and faced me, a gentle look on his face. Our eyes met, and we held each other's gazes.

He was so beautiful and ethereal. His long silver hair was tied up with a red string.

I opened my mouth and was about to say something when Yook-oh found me.

"So you were here. I've been looking for you."

I turned around to see if the man was still there, but he vanished immediately.

"Is something wrong?" Yook-oh asked, following my gaze.

I shook my head and then followed him inside the palace.

--------------------

We were before a large and grand doorway, about to meet the water god.

"The water god is this way," Yook-oh beckoned. He pushed open the door and led me inside. We met the beautiful man from before. He had a book in his hand, silently reading by himself. He looked up when we entered.

"Ah, Yook-oh." He greeted.

"This is the bride of the water god," Yook-oh announced, motioning towards me. "And let me introduce to you the commander Hoo-ye."

He bowed and I bowed back.

Yook-oh pulled aside the curtain and showed me inside.

"And this person is Habaek, the water god."

"!"

I was taken aback by who the water god was. It never occurred to me that it would be him.

It was the little boy with the rubber ball.

--------------------