Prologue

It's funny looking back on it now, because if I'd gone my usual way, I would never have seen her.

I never usually took the back route from Jim Kaverleys farm. It was a more scenic route- quiet.

I suppose that's why she chose it. So noone would notice. So she could end her life in peace.

I was just reversing out of there when I saw someone on the bridge outback.

They were pacing back and forth. I thought she was lost.

I'd gotten lost many times in the hedgerows. I'd spend hours waiting for someone to find me amongst the maize fields.

So I went to help.

I wasn't in a hurry to leave. I would've just gone home.

"Everything alright?" I called out, as I drew nearer.

The figure turned to me and I remember taking in a breath because I recognised her.

Leah Greenwood.

Her face was bare and her eyes were filled with tears.

"No." She said lowly, "Nothing is alright."

She looked down from the bridge towards the crystal water. She looked so... so lost. Like everything was over for her.

That's when I noticed the rope. And the stones. She was gripping it so tightly her nails dug into her palm. Her hands trembled as she did a simple knot around one of the rungs on the bridge.

"What are you doing?" I said, even though it was achingly obvious.

She turned to me. Her eyes were so empty. She looked as if she'd forgotten I was there.

"Nothing of your concern." She said softly, casting one end of the rope into the water.

It fell in with a plop. "It's a long way down." She whispered. She began to shiver.

I gave up the innocent act.

"Leah. I don't know why your doing this, but please don't. It's not worth it. There are people who care for you. Suicide doesn't just affect you. It-" my voice shook, "it hurts everyone."

Leah looked slightly annoyed at my input.

"I'm sure you mean well, but you're so wrong. No one cares for me. I have no one left to stay for." She looked back at the water, sniffing. She had an almost longing look in her eye.

I knew then that she was going to do it. She was determined.

But so was I. I was going to stop her.

"Leah, I can't let you do this. Let me help yo-"

"You don't understand- I can't be saved. I'm well past that point. I don't want to go on anymore." She sobbed. Picking up a stone, she put one in her shirt.

Oh God. She's actually doing it. I felt sick.

I turned away briefly. She was unto her third stone. I mulled over her words, solemn.

So that's it? I thought. You'll just let her do this? Like your-
No. I couldn't.

I took a breath, then moved forward till I was stood right in front of her. Her back was to mine. I was almost a head taller than her.

Her hand was curled around the stone. Gently, I prised it from her shaking hand and threw it into the swirling water.

She spun round to me, her eyes wild and angry.

"Why'd you do that?" She hissed.

"I meant what I said Leah."

"I did too!" She shot back. "You can't save me. No one can." Her fist pound on my chest.

I refused to move. My arms blocked her in place, forcing her to listen.

"No Leah. You can be. Give me 30 days to prove it to you. Please. Don't give up on yourself." I said softly.

"You don't understand." She whispered.

"Then make me. I'm all ears. Tell me what's going on." I replied.

She began to cry, all the fight gone. I knew the enormity of what she was about to do was hitting her.

She crumpled onto the ground by my feet, letting out gasp after gasp. Her breathing became erratic. Clutching the handrails of the bridge, she squeezed her eyes firmly shut.

Oh, Leah.

The sight of her like this made my heart squeeze. I felt useless.

Do something.

I leant down till I was eye level with her. "Hey, hey, please don't cry."

She turned away. No. I wouldn't allow her to block me out.

"Leah. You can't ignore me. I just want to-"

Before I could process what was happening, Leah pushed me backwards and I fell to the ground. The breath was knocked out of me. She straddled me, pinning my arms back.

I looked up at her curiously. "Leah?" My voice was about an octave higher. I wasn't used to this at all.

"What do you want from me? Huh? Sex? Is that what you want?" She growled.

I felt my whole face flush. She thinks I only stopped her so she could sleep with me.

"Why would you think that?" I said lowly, "I would never take advantage of you. Ever. Or anyone for that matter." I closed my eyes, trying to erase the images that flooded my mind.

She was beautiful, I couldn't contest that. What with her glimmering dark skin, stunner smile, enticing brown eyes and gentle curves, it was difficult to resist her.

But regardless, I would NEVER do that.

"No." I ended.

"Then why do you care? Why do you give two hoots about whether I live or die?"

I lost my temper.
"I don't know Leah! I don't know. All I know is that if you don't get off me right now you won't like what happens next."

Leah climbed off me slowly. "Oh." She turned away, but I could see the flash of tears in her eyes.

I felt a pang of guilt. What was wrong with me? She was clearly feeling emotional. I should have respected that.

"Leah, look at me." I said suddenly. Her eyes fluttered open.

"I'm sorry, okay." She spat. "You've been so sweet to me and I did this. God, you probably think I'm a slut or something."

What? No. I shook my head emphatically. The smallest hint of a smile grew on her lips.

I'll tell you it took all my strength not to kiss her then and there. "Aidan?" She said.
She remembered my name.
I must've zoned out. I flushed slightly, embarrased.

"Can I show you something?" I said. We need to get away from here. I knew the perfect spot.

Wordlessly, she gave me her hand, allowing me to help her up. I knew that would be enough for now.

Thank God she listened to me.