5. Annoying Ex-Girlfriends

>.<

Why does everybody make the ex-girlfriend evil? Like, seriously? Does your boyfriend's ex-girlfriend threaten to kill you? Does she bully you?

The evil ex-girlfriend thing is just too overused. Why not make the new girlfriend annoying? Why not make the ex-girlfriend and the new girlfriend get along. You can place another enemy or something. If the ex-girlfriend plays an important role in your book, I'm okay with that. But if you just place the ex-girlfriend in your book for no reason, I won't be okay with that! I shall battle you with my imaginary sword!

But seriously, I'll give you an example:

Pamela Waters is an ordinary fifteen year old maid in the queen's castle. She has been working there all her life. She meets a gardener and grows close with him. But she learns something that could get in the way of their relationship! The gardener has a psycho ex-girlfriend that threatens to kill Pamela. What do they do? Do they get together, or do they leave each other forever?

That one was the book that needs the ex-girlfriend in the story.

------

Pamela Waters is a fifteen year old maid who works in the queen's castle. She falls in love with the gardener. They go on fancy dates. They decide to marry each other and have thirty babies. But their mothers do not approve their relationship. So do they live happily?

That one was the one who doesn't need the ex-girlfriend.

You click it. You read on. You arrive at the part where the gardener takes Pamela on a fancy date. They're about to kiss. Suddenly, the author decides to add some "drama" and puts the ex-girlfriend in. The ex-girlfriend's name is Lily. She wants to kill Pamela.

Wouldn't the whole story be better without the unnecessary ex-girlfriend? The conflict has already been told.

I would like to tell authors that if the ex-girlfriend plays an important role (if she's the antagonist), that's okay. If she doesn't add any meaning to the story, then I shall stop reading your book! (I spoke in a too fancy way, oops)

Rara-sama out!