[05] Ryker: "I Knew."

DEDICATION: mamajoan1964 :D

[05]: "I Knew."

The unease I was feeling at the moment was unmatched

The unease I was feeling at the moment was unmatched. Never have I ever felt so bad that I wanted to simultaneously throw up and jump off a cliff. The anticipation of waiting for a reply, or at least so much as a smile from Axel to know that despite it all, he was okay with still being my friend, was killing me. I didn't know which part I was worried about more.

Finding out that he was okay with being just friends—which was what I hoped would happen.

Or, finding out that he was not into me.

Funny thing was, both were the result of the same outcome. Axel didn't strike me as the type to ignore me completely over a little crush, so if he was willing to oversee it and go back to being the way we were, I couldn't be happier. Well, I'd damn well be even happier if he decided that he was into guys, after all, but the worst option would be if he was into guys, but not into me; and wanted to be just friends.

Because that would mean that he didn't want me because I'm me, and not because I didn't have the right set of equipment he preferred.

And while the outcome of him accepting me as a friend did make me happy, I didn't know how I'd face him if he rejected me. I knew that I wasn't in love with him, so I didn't think I'd be "heartbroken", but rejection sure as hell was bound to hurt.

I didn't know how I'd also face the embarrassment that came along with it.

"Here you are," Lyle panted as he rounded his car and found me sitting near the back of it on the concrete of the empty parking lot. "I knew you'd have chosen someplace different. I skipped the garden right away because I was sure you'd have thought it was an easy place to find."

"Go away, Lyle." I sighed, drawing my knees up to my chest and wrapping my arms around them.

Lyle inhaled sharply at my usage of his first name. It didn't matter when I sometimes did it in passing. In the midst of a really serious situation, though, deviating from the usage of our nicknames only meant, "stay the fuck away".