Chapter 5

"Stay with me, come on, stay with me," Beckett mumbled and he wondered why the hell she wasn't running after the perp.

"I'm fine, just go get John," he grunted and tried to roll onto his side to get up again. Without any success.

"What? No! You need to go to the hospit-stay still!" He felt her hands push him down with his back into the ground.

"No, no no, no hospital," he mumbled and tried sitting up.

He was about to get up when her hands were pushing him down again. "Lay still! You've just been shot!" Beckett's panicking had him open his clenched eyes to look at her. Her eyes were opened wide with fear and he started to remember she had no idea this really wasn't that bad. He could tell it was no silver bullet and the bullet had gone straight through so it wasn't still in him. It had just barely gone past her, thank god.

"It's okay, it's just a graze," he said and her eyes hardened on him, a sting of a harshness he wasn't sure he'd seen before.

"You're shot in the chest, Castle," she pulled out her phone and now it was his turn to narrow his eyes.

"What are you doing?" he grunted as she started clicking on her phone screen.

"Calling an ambulance," she said in a duh voice and he immediately shook his head, pushing himself into a sitting position, using his wolf-strength to break free from her hands.

"No, just drive me home," he said and she put her phone to her ear and he panicked.

He stole her phone from her ear and smashed it against the ground, the phone cracking into pieces thanks to his strength. Beckett yelled out in a fear he hadn't heard before and he trapped her hands in his when she was starting to frantically search his pockets for his phone.

"Just take me home," he said as strong as he could, tried to smother the pain he felt from sneaking into his voice. "Kate, I'm fine."

She shook her head, her heart pounding hard against her chest and he wasn't sure what he could do to make her calm down. Her whole body started shaking and his neck hair raised at the fear he felt radiating from her. He needed to do something, something, but he wasn't sure what. He couldn't tell her like this, if he did she would think he was crazy and call the ambulance anyway. Pulling her hands closer to him he shifted in order to try and get a hold of her eyes.

"Kate. Hey, Kate! Look at me!" He didn't open his mouth again until she met his blues and he could see she was listening close. "Take me home." Her eyes flickered between his eyes as he could see she was trying to figure out what to do.

Castle could already feel his skin healing, the bleeding coming to a slow, and so he knew he would be almost completely recovered in only about a half an hour. Maybe an hour.

"You need to go to..." she started but he shook his head as he grabbed two of her fingers to put them towards his pulse in his neck.

"Feel that?" he asked, but didn't wait for an answer. "It's not going weaker. I don't need a hospital."

She started to stammer out in disagreement but he made sure to keep a calming look in his blues, tried to transfer his calm to her. His biggest worry was John Walton but the way his partner was acting he couldn't just tell her to go after him. To his defense he actually did tell her but she was definitely too shook up in order to process anything except for Castle's injury. When he could see her eyes darted slower, could hear her heart beat a little less frantic, he dared a glance around the storage. He used his heightened senses to search their surroundings, where the hell did everyone go? He focused his hearing, tried not to listen to his partner's slowing heart but tried to find any other heartbeats in the store.