Epilogue

Kate knew her partner, her soulmate, was watching her as she laid in their bed with her eyes closed. For the untrained eye, and ears, she would look like she was sound asleep, but she was well aware he knew better. He knew how her heart sounded when she was asleep, he'd had about a year to memorize it, and she couldn't wait until she knew the same. She moved her body a bit and flinched at how sore it felt, she hadn't anticipated it to feel like this. Then again, she hadn't really known what to anticipate.

"You okay?" She flinched again at his whisper, it was louder than she'd thought it would be. "Sorry," he practically just breathed out and she carefully opened her eyes in order to peek at him.

His blue eyes were so clear and so blue she swore she would drown in them deeper than she had before. They were also filled with a worry, a worry she could feel radiating from his body. So, this is how he always knew her worries. He'd tried to explain it to her once but she hadn't quite understood how it was possible. Until now.

"I'm fine," she whispered, "just a little sore."

He observed her the same way he always did and she bit her lower lip, feeling her cheeks blush at his stare. She started pulling up the covers to hide but before she could his hands reached out and stopped her, one of them cupping her cheek and she immediately shivered at his touch. It sent tingles down her skin. She'd thought it to be electric before but this? This was what he'd been telling her about heightened senses? God, his touch would kill her.

"But you're not hurt?" he questioned and she shook her head lightly, his thumb stroking her cheek.

"I can feel you worry, stop worrying," she commented and laid her hand atop of his. "I feel good, it just feels like the kind of soreness you get after a workout."

He hummed and she turned her head slightly to kiss his palm. He'd been much more worried about the night before than she had, she could feel the fear still lingering in his soul. She wondered for how long he'd felt like that, ever since they set the date for her change? Or even earlier? They'd done quite some research before he had agreed to change her, he said he would refuse to change her if there was even the slightest of risks of her getting hurt because of it. Alexis had been a great help there, had found books none of them knew existed until she had brought them home, and Kate couldn't be more grateful for the girl's help. Kate had actually been afraid the redhead would change her mind about her once she started dating the girl's father. She had even expressed her worry once when Castle had asked why she was so worried every time Alexis was near them, especially when he took the freedom to kiss her in front of his daughter. At first Kate had tried to wave it off as her being slightly embarrassed to kiss in front of the teenager, but he had sensed she was lying. Just like she could finally sense him now, could hear the beat of his heart as it pumped blood through his veins.

"It feels so weird, I can hear your heartbeat," Kate whispered and he chuckled with one of the brightest of smiles on his lips.

"There's so many new things you're gonna discover, nothing will be the same," he told her and she felt a small hitch in her breathing. "Well, you and me will mostly be the same," she felt her heart calm down again, "and I will teach you everything I know at acting normal in the precinct."

She couldn't stop the snort at that, the chuckle escaping her lips not making it any better. "You've never been normal at the precinct."

He hummed, "True. But you never suspected anything, and you're New York's finest detective."

Kate pursed her lips, that was sadly true. He had known they were soulmates for three fonting years and she'd never even had a clue he wasn't human. She hadn't truly believed him at first either, thinking he was just making something up due to the strangeness around their case. But after she saw him, really saw him, she knew he was telling the truth. And if she was honest with herself she'd felt it coming. The way she felt towards him, the way she couldn't stay away from him, it must've been the magnetic field of their souls being attracted to one another. She'd denied it for so long but once he had been standing in front of her, in his wolf form, she'd finally just let go.

"Shut up," she muttered and he chuckled as he leant closer, before she knew it his lips claimed hers in a gentle kiss that felt, oh so, enticing in comparison to all the kisses from before.

When he started pulling away from her she let go of a disapproving hum and followed his lips only to end up with her body in line with his. A chuckle rumbled in his chest as his hands landed on her hips under the covers, sending hot tingles down her belly, but to her small disappointment he was holding her away from him instead of pulling her closer. Though, she also understood his actions. She wasn't sure she could handle all senses of making love with him right away, wasn't sure she was quite ready for that just yet. Their love making had been much, much, greater than anything she'd dreamt of, and with her senses being heightened? She knew it would be explosive. Castle slowed down the kiss and she tried to follow his lead, tried to calm her racing heart.

"Listen to my heart, Kate," his voice was low in a guiding way and she concentrated on her hearing. It didn't take long before all she heard was his heart, the beating slow in a calming matter, and soon she could feel her own heart slow down. It was as though their hearts were suddenly beating as one, in perfect harmony.

"How'd you know that would work?" she asked curiously once she felt calm enough, her eyes searching his blues.

His cheeks blushed and when he didn't answer at first she pecked his lips, making sure not to linger in case it would suck her in. She then waited, because she knew that sooner or later he would talk. Often it was sooner rather than later.

"It's what I do every time I need to calm down," he eventually revealed and she felt her whole body fill with love. "It's pathetic I know."

"No," she said shaking her head, her voice a bit louder now because they had both started talking normally a while ago. "I think it's sweet."

His blues widened a little before his lips turned upwards in a big smile, his eyes looking at her the way only he did.

"I love you, you know that, right?" He said for the millionth of time and she mirrored his smile.

"I love you too," she returned the sentiment before she snuggled closer to him.

It might be too soon for them to make love, she needed to get used to the new feel of everything first, but there was no way she would hold back on her snuggles. She had never really been a cuddly person before but with Castle it just felt right. And she couldn't wait to spend the rest of her life together with him, couldn't wait to wake up next to him every day, couldn't wait to go out on runs with him in their other form. The way if had felt the night before, when she changed for the first time and they ran through the woods, she'd never felt so free before. And now, with the heightened senses, there were no doubt in her mind that they were indeed soulmates. Or as Castle had, oh so, jokingly said, wolf mates.

THE END

––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––

A/N: THANK YOU ALL SO MUCH for all the amazing reviews and follows and comments and votes and all of your support throughout this Halloween story! Of course I hope you all had an amazing Halloween and that you really enjoyed this ride as much as I did! Love you to the moon and back!

Anyway, haven't yet decided what to write next but have a few prompts in my hand to choose from. However I start my internship next week and it'll go on for FOUR weeks, which means I might not be able to write much and even if I do then I might not be able to publish...

So, to keep tabs I recommend you to follow me on twitter (LololovaX) because that's where I'm as most active when I can. Other than that, have a great day/week/month! Until next time, xxxx