Chapter 1

Percy's POV

Looking back on it now, I wish I would have taken up Luke Castellan's offer sooner.

It's no secret on who I am anymore. Percy Jackson. Son of Poseidon. Child of the prophecy. But what's so special about it? The Gods don't treat me better than any other camper. If anything, they treat me worse. All they seem to be doing is send me on pointless quests that could easily be classified as suicide missions. In the end, they're pointless, but I'm still forced to do them anyway. Kind of like in about two weeks when I'll be forced to fight a literal Titan. Not just any Titan, but the Titan Lord himself.

During my first summer at Camp Half-Blood, I though it would be cool. Fighting evil and all that jazz that you see in the movies. My first quest was exciting for about the first day. After that, I realized how bad the Gods really were. They didn't want to fight with us. They wanted us the fight for them. If a dyslexic, ADHD 12 year old mortal can know that, then it must be pretty obvious.

As nice as most people were, especially after I blew up a toilet, they all only saw me as the Son of Poseidon. Grover, who I thought would be the one person to see me as I am, only saw me by who my parent was. If I were them, I'd be more scared if someone were to come up to me and call themselves the child of Sally Jackson. If I wasn't her son already that is. In my opinion, Sally Jackson is scarier than Zeus himself.

Anyway, I'm getting off topic of what is truly important. And that is Luke Castellan.

Luke trained me when I first got to Camp. He was the only person who saw me as Percy Jackson. Because of this, we grew closer. We became closer than Grover and I were. Sometimes we would stay in the woods like we were camping. Between the two of us, monsters weren't that big of a deal. The harpies only found us once, but it was still worth it. 

During this times of hanging out in the woods, Luke would tell me about himself. About how his mom was crazy and he never saw her. How he hated the Gods because they ignored their kids; a point that I could very much agree on. In return, I told him how Smelly Gabe abused me until I cut off Medusa's head and gave it to my mom who turned him to stone and sold him to buy a house. I told him of all the ways that I've gotten expelled from different schools up until Yancy Academy. After that, my years of expulsion didn't need explained. 

But we also shared happy moments. I got Luke to actually smile, something that rarely happened. I was honored to know that I was able to make him do it. 

He told me about how he met Thalia Grace and how they later ran into Annabeth. I told him about the times my mom would bring home bundles of blue foods. When we were together, I felt as if I had someone who truly understood me. Not someone who expected me to be better than everyone else simply because of my dad. 

For the record, I would much rather be the child of Demeter. I mean, who wouldn't? You could kill someone with nature. Water isn't everywhere, but nature is. Not to mention, you could just go around tripping people all the time be conjuring vines and stuff. With water, you can only drench someone. Though I guess it is cool to be able to breath under water and talk to fish. And if my mom was Demeter then my mom couldn't be who it is already.

I'm getting off track again. But what I'm trying to say, is that Luke sees me as my own person. That's all I've ever wanted from people. That's why I liked it when Nico came around too. He didn't care that I was the son of Poseidon because his dad is also one of the Big Three. And when Thalia was saved from her tree, she's the daughter of Zeus, so she didn't care either. It's just the people that can't see how much pressure is put on our shoulders for being "mistakes" or being the possible child of the prophecy. 

These are the same people that worship the Gods more than they should. I give my sacrifice to Poseidon, but not willingly. We don't get anything as a reward for doing what the Gods tell us to. They take all the credit for doing whatever a demigod does. Why? Because they're to arrogant to admit that a mortal might be better than them. 

I knew a long time before anyone found out that Luke was working for Kronos. He told me and tried to convince me to join with him. I couldn't stand the thought of leaving what had slowly become my home despite how people viewed me. They brainwashed me into believing that the Gods could actually win.

Luke had eventually given up trying to convince me to join, but the thought never left my mind. More and more I'm beginning to realize that maybe it'd be better to join Kronos and his army. They knew what they wanted and how they wanted it done. Kronos doesn't make people fight for him, he lets people make that choice. Unlike the Gods who force demigods to go on quests for them when they mess up. 

Luckily, Luke and I stayed friends in secret even though we're enemies. For now at least. Every once in a while we would Iris Message as a way to keep in contact. Which is what I'm doing now. 

His face appeared in the water. It was the middle of the night, but Luke seemed wide awake. His scar vibrant as usual and he was smiling, which made the scar over his eye scrunch up slightly. "Hey, Perce," he said, his smile getting even larger if that was possible. 

"Hey, Luke," I greeted back. "I was wondering if the offer to join Kronos' Army is still on the table?"