Chapter 9

*Percy's POV*

Today's the day. I'm going to talk to him. Maybe, if I don't chicken out.

"Hey, Perce. Can we talk?"

I flinch, scared by the sudden voice, and then freeze when I hear it's Luke.

I turn around to see him standing there across the deck. I shrug, shoving my hands in my pockets and shuffling towards him slowly.

"Sure. I guess," I say quietly, trying to regain my thought process.

I follow him in awkward silence, not looking at him at all. I try to find something to say, but the words never came out of my mouth.

Finally, we reach the back end of the deck where his cabin is located. I walk in behind him, closing the door after I go in, and wait for Luke to say something.

"Look, Percy. I really want to-" he starts to say.

"We can't be together," I cut him off quietly.

I hear a sharp intake of breath come from him as I duck my head down. But, then Luke jerks my head back up so that I look him in the eye.

His angry, confused blue eyes stare at me, making me uncomfortable as I try to say something to him.

"Why not? Why can't we be together? Is it because of this stupid war? This war has nothing to do with this! With us! Even Ethan is pining after Selena!" He says, backing me into the door.

I try to avoid looking at him, trying to move my head out of his grip. "So? That doesn't mean anything for us. It's just a crush, it'll go away."

I spare a glance up at Luke after a few moments of silence. His blue eyes are dark with anger, glaring straight at me.

I sigh, taking my hands out of my pockets and pushing Luke away from me. But, he doesn't move. My eyebrows furrow as I try again, but he doesn't budge. Instead, he pins me against the wall, holding my hands behind my back, and gets up real close and personal.

A blush makes its way across my face. I struggle to get away, but Luke gives me that infamous smirk of his with anger burning bright in his eyes. He leans down past my face, his lips next to my ear.

"Oh, Perce. You really think I'm going to let you go that easily after you stole something of mine?" He whispers, and my eyes widen at his words.

'But, I didn't steal anything,' passes through my mind just as Luke moves back to look me in the eye.

He gets closer to me face, inches, centimeters, and millimeters away from my lips. He rests his forehead against mine, my blush heating up once again as I feel his breath against my lips.

My eyes dart down toward Luke's lips and back up to his own eyes. And that was all it took before the dam broke and Luke smashed his lips onto mine.

My eyes widen, flush setting fire to my whole face, as his soft lips move against my frozen ones. Luke moves back for a second but dives right back in. This time, I kiss him back.

Our lips move together in sync, and my eyes flutter shut. Luke lets go of my hands and wraps one around my waist, pulling me closer, and leans the other one on the door to steady himself. My own hands tangle into his blonde locks, pulling him closer to me.

Luke swipes his tongue across my bottom lip. I shyly part my lips a little, giving him access, and he dives right in. I let out a surprised squeak when he sucks my tongue, getting used to the feeling of being dominated when I'm usually not.

Luke's tongue explores my mouth, mapping out every part of it as if to memorize every part of it. My fingers tug on his hair, pulling him back slightly.

He stops kissing me, a string of saliva connecting us together and takes deep breaths as I try to catch my own. Dull blushes are spread across our faces, but the looks in our eyes probably resemble wild animals at the moment.

"Why can't we be together?" Like asks me again.

I bite my kiss swollen lip before I go to answer him. "Because I'm afraid of losing you," I whisper, ducking my head down.

My head is lifted up once again by Luke. He presses a soft kiss to my forehead, my cheeks, my nose, and lastly my lips.

"You won't lose my Perce, I promise," Luke tells me, but I know he's lying.

This is war, and there is a chance that we'll lose everyone that we love. That I'll lose Luke. But, I hang onto that empty promise for now because I have nothing else to believe.

"Okay," I say, nuzzling my head under his chin and just stand there like that with him.

I stay like this because it's the only thing that comforts me at the moment.