Chapter 4

Annabeth watched as the chariot took off out of Camp Half-Blood. So that's why Percy had the bag with him all morning. It baffled her, and obviously everyone else. Percy had never complained about the Gods or quests anymore than any other demigod. So why was he all of a sudden switching sides?

She was one of the demigods to chase them down, and was one of the last to stop. Her eyes were filled with tears, but she had to hold them back, had to look tough. Now two of her best friends had turned to Kronos' side. First Luke, and now Percy. This had to be some kind of joke, right?

When she forced herself to stop, Annabeth trudged back to Camp. She had to force herself to look mad instead of upset. Her face had to have a look of anger instead of disappointment. Breathing steadily, she stormed off to the Poseidon cabin, determined to find some kind of clue as to why Percy traded sides.

The Poseidon was cluttered with stuff Percy had left behind. Most of the clutter was on a desk by a fountain. A notebook sat neatly on the middle of desk. Strange. Percy never wrote anywhere but school. His dyslexia is too much for writing. Annabeth went over to the notebook. She scanned it quickly, but realized that only one page about a quarter of the way through it was the only page with writing on it.

I can't keep doing this. I need to be able to be his friends more than just in the middle of the night. Our talks are the only things that make me happy anymore. So much pressure is built up on my shoulders, and no one even realizes it. While talking to him, the stress that's built up goes away and I can be myself.

I've always loved him. But he can never know. I can't risk losing the friendship we have. Around him, I'm happy. With him, I'm the real me. Not the brave person everyone sees me and wants me to be.

He is Luke Castellan.

Recently, I've been thinking about his offer. The offer to join Kronos. At first it sounded like a stupid idea. But then the Gods started showing themselves. Their cruelty against mortals and demigods. They only care about themselves.

Kronos visited me in a dream. He promised me my own army once this is all said and done. The Gods would have taken the credit. That's just how they are. It doesn't matter how little they do; the Gods are always perfect.

Now my choice is clear. I'm joining Kronos.

Now I'll be able to be his friend. Have our conversations everyday. I'll be happy all the time because I'll be with him. No more masks of bravery. I can just be Percy. I won't be Percy Jackson, Son of Poseidon, Child of the Prophecy. I'll just be Percy. That's all I've wanted since coming to Camp Half-Blood.

I'll miss some people, but overall, this is the best decision for me. And I won't regret it. Luke will make sure that I don't.

Annabeth set the notebook down, putting together the pieces that had been lost before. Percy had stayed friends with Luke because he liked him. For once, Percy did something that was for himself rather than everyone else. A part of Annabeth was happy that he was going to be his own person, and not just some pawn of the Gods like the rest of them. But a different part of her was mad that he left them only two weeks before the final battle.

'This isn't your choice,' Annabeth told herself. 'Percy was watching for himself. Be proud of him for not giving in to his fatal flaw.'

With a short sigh, Annabeth walked out of the cabin. She was trying to think of a way to still win the war without Percy. She knew that the demigods would look to her now that Percy is gone. Which she wouldn't have minded if she hadn't read the note. One line stuck in her mind as she tried to plan. 'So much pressure is built up on my shoulders, and no one even realizes it.'

Was he really hiding himself that well? Annabeth knows that most Campers put on a facade to please their Godly parent, but most of those are poor excuses of masks. Because like Percy had said, the Gods think they're the best no matter what. No one says it out loud, but everyone knows it.

Because training was put on hold for the day, everyone was in their cabins. Annabeth followed in suit and went to the Athena cabin. She layed on her bed, the letter on her mind. Soon she drifted off into sleep, not expecting the dream vision she was to have.