Chapter 17- Stars

(A/N OMG I feel like such an awful person for not doing this yesterday, but my internet broke! So sorry!!!!!)

Queens aren’t supposed to fall out of windows. I know that.

And yet as I lean out the window, to try to get something I placed on the roof, that’s exactly what I do.

And if you’re wondering why in the world I would put stuff on the roof, well, so am I.

Luckily, I was on the first floor, and only fell a little way. And I somehow managed to land on my knees.

Of course, under the window I fell out of, there’s a lake. Luckily it’s just the right depth for falling into.

And it’s cold. Because it’s November.

As I get out of the lake  I hear, “Are you okay?”

I turn. Hiccup is standing by a tree in the backyard. He probably saw me fall out the window.

I blush. “I’m fine. I think,” I say.

He strides toward me and holds out his hand. I take it gratefully.

“Thank you,” I say, still very aware of the fact that I’m soaked.

“Are you cold?” He asks.

“A little,” I say.

My clothes are starting to dry already but if you’ve ever been soaked, outside, near midnight, in late November, you’ll know how I feel.

He puts his arm around me.

“At least it’s not raining,” he says.

“Or snowing,” I reply.

“Or hailing.”

I smile. “Or all 3.”

He laughs.

“You’re sure you’re okay?”

“I’m sure.”

Out of the blue, he asks, “How many stars are there?” 

“I don’t know. Why?”

“I was just wondering.”

“I’ve tried to count them before. One night when I was 12 I walked onto the platform outside of my room and I took pictures of the stars. I tried to count them. I only got to 9,453 before I gave up.” I remember those nights very well.

“9,473 stars? How long did that take?”

“A few nights.”

“Wow. Do you have a favorite constellation?”

I shrug. “I spent too much time either counting them or being scared.”

“Why?”

“Because they’re so big. And yet they’re so small compared to the universe. I’m not scared of them anymore. Now I just think its comforting how big the universe is, because it never ends. Like infinity. Like a circle. Like...”

“A wedding ring?” he suggests.

My head shoots up.

“Elsa, I’ve been meaning to ask you for a long time... will you marry me?”