Almost Lover (Fantasy)

It was pure chance really, us meeting.
But I felt a connection although fleeting.
We both opened up for some reason.
I suppose it was fit for the season.

We never meet face to face.
You lived in a different place.
Separated by time, yet completely embraced by it.
We made our own world and we played hero's for a bit.

Our lives melting away after school.
The pain of it all was never felt at full.
I was falling in love with you.
But I ended up playing the fool.

Sidetracked and brought back, our talks and adventure were a healthy snack.
Keeping the dark of my mind at bay even while I was swimming in yours.

Although we were young I was able to learn alot from you.
The largest lesson being even though someone can be so defeated it doesn't mean they are through, happiness is just a little further down their path.

I've kept that lesson close to heart and have put it to practice.
Teaching others to smile and appreciate all things even the malice.

Finding zen is important to surviving dark times and I suppose that's the role we played for each other, at first.
Kissing your forehead and wishing you luck on your test, we both left for school to do our best.

You did however tell me you had something important to say and I knew what it was.
Spending my day in fear due to a recent harsh end I eventually found myself on the bus.

The forty minutes it took me to ride home was nerve racking, but thankfully a bird lent me her melody.
Unfortunately it wasn't enough to drown out the melancholy.

By time you told me you loved me I had convinced myself I was no good for you, that I was a monster just destined to hurt you.
You don't really even know me was my response, my inner demons killing me.

We stopped talking and I'd have dreams of our tree house.
Replaying how I told you that not even the stars could match your beauty.

We would be happy and untouchable but I'd jolt awake covered in a could sweat.
Unable to sleep again due to my eyes being too wet.

I never truly let go of the love I held for you because you made me the happiest of all the others.
But I learned to move on.

After all the magic of our tree house was no more in your eyes.