Chapter 1 Alone

Grin's POV

"Not fair! Give it back!"

"No way, this is mine!"

I suddenly came back from day dreaming after I heared these two cracking up again.

"What is it this time, you two?" I asked.

"Gabi started it!"
"Leo started it!"

They replied sychronizedly, much to their surprise.

"But I catched it!" Gabi said

"You're blind! Look, it's on my hook!"
Leo defended.

"Stop it, you two. Just cut the fish in half." I suggested.

"Oh geez. Whatever." Gabi reacted.

"Why don't we just go to someother fishing ponds? You know what, I've heard of this river on the District IX! They say that there are many kinds of fish there! Mmmmm~" Gabi suggested.

"District IX? That's a bit far, hey. I'm too broke to buy a bus ticket." Leo said.

"Leave it to me. Let's go." I said.

It took us about an hour to get there. Sephio, with a border of 70 meter high on its edges, is divided into 32 Districts, from District I to District XXXII. ARM9th Building, the base of operations of the powerful ARM9th, is located in District II which is near the District I that is located at the middle of the borders. My father work there as a cook, while I live alone at District XV. I think I'm lucky because the Districts XXI and above are not that very safe places since those are just beside the walls of the border itself.

"Um, sorry but we cannit go further more." The taxi driver said.

"Why is it, sir? We can pay." Gabi said.

"Sigh. How old are the three of you?" The taxi driver asked.

"We're all nineteen. Why?" I answered.

"That's why you have no idea about this. Fine, I'll tell you. This river. Every night, when people come here. They never returned."

"Huh? What do you mean?" Leo asked.

"People say there's a lurking spirit around that river. People who dared to go there, or fished on its waters, are all missing up to this day."

"But! I want to fish there! Leo, Grin, what should we do?"  ~Gabi

"We shouldn't be afraid. Let's go." ~Leo

"Guys, it'll be dark soon. I think we should just go home." I suggested as I start to believe what the old man said.

"Ugh. What a coward. Okay, you two can go home if you want. Sigh. I'm gonna go there alone despite having these friends." Leo said.

"I'll go! I'll go! Fine. Bye Grin!" Gabi mocks.

"Fine fine I'll go with you!" I said.

The two grabbed each of my hand

"HAHAHA! We knew you wouldn't leave us!" Leo said while laughing.

"Let's go! I want to eat our catch at my place." Gabi suggested.

"Really? Okay then." Leo agreed.

These two are the most important ones to me. Without them, I'd feel very lonely today.

"Grin, this is your rod."

Leo gave me the fishing rod.

"Thanks"

"Let's go!" ~Gabi

"Guys, I hope this is not the last time we do this." I mumbled.

"Huh? What's gotten in to you? Of course not! We've known each other for few years already." ~Gabi

"Leo's right. Guys, I want to be an an actress one day! I'll be shown on TV, and on many different parts of media. You two woukd be jealous of me. HAHAHA!" ~Gabi

"As if I will! I'll be a pilot soon, and I'll ride planes and helicopters! I'll be on top of the world!" ~Leo

"That's cool! Grin, how about you?" Gabi asked.

"M-me? I don't reall have that kind of thing at all. I just don't want to be alone. Thanks to you guys, even if my father works from afar, you're always there by my side. Thank you." I smiled.

I saw the shock on their face. The two of them laughed.

"HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA"

"What's funny?" I asked.

"Nothing. I was just touched. I haven't seen Dad for almost a year already. ARM9th is really harsh." ~Gabi

"Ever since I was a child, Mom and Dad always fight. I was planning on separating from them already, but thanks to you guys, I feel happy everyday." ~Leo

These two. The joy of being with them is uncomparable.

"Grin, we promise that we won't leave you. We'll stay by your side." Leo promised.

"Yep, that's right! We won't --"

Gabi suddenly stopped. Huh? What's happening? Gabi?

"GABIIIIII!" Leo shouted.

What's happening?

"L-Leo.." ~Gabi

"Y-Your stomach... I-It's..." ~Leo

Huh?

S-Something came out of her stomach.  And it's full of blood.

"HAHAHAHA! Some brats have stepped into my territory! I wonder why?"

Something appeared. A winged person? Person? A bestial? No no. A talking bestial?

"Who are you! What did you do to Gabi!! You'll pay!" Leo charged towards it.

"Haha. Fool."

"LEO! NO!" I shouted.

*Splat*

Leo... Leo's head... It's crushed...

"LEOOOOO! GABIIII!" I  screamed in pain... pain from the heart. Is this a nightmare? Tell me!

The monster landed on the ground.

"Oh... You brats. You went here for fishing, huh? Don't you know... THIS PLACE IS MY TERRITORY!" It ran towards me.

"Damn you!" I ran towards it as well as I grabbed the rod.

"A fishing rod, seriously?"

I striked it with the rod. The rod broke anf it didn't even scratched it.

Im done for as well.

"You fool!" The monster striked me with its powerful talon.

It blew me away and I landed on to where Gabi is lying.

"G-Gabi..."

"G-G-Grin... S-Sorry... Our p-promise..."
Gabi starts to feel unconscious.

"Gabi... no... Leo is..."

"I'm... s-sleepy." Gabi said her final words.

I... I suddenly felt weakened. This is it. We're saying goodbye to the world. Dad, sorry.

"Arghh! ARM9th!"

*gunshots*

To be continued
Chapter 2: The District IX Incident