10

Chaos. Utter chaos.

"If this is what getting married involves, I don't ever want to get married," I said to my sister Felicity as soon as we had a brief moment of respite.

The day of Mother's wedding to Mr Colby had finally arrived, and none of us at Myron Hall had had any sleep.

"Oh, that's a different tune for you," Felicity chose the sarcastic route.

"Is there anything else we're forgetting?" I asked her, unfolding my checklist and poring over the notes together with her.

"I don't think so."

"I never would have thought that I would literally have to put out fires today," I sighed, shaking my head.

"At least Mother's happy," she remarked, nodding over to where she sat, surrounded by a gaggle of ladies armed with every beautifying tool ever conceived. I couldn't see Mother's expression, but she hadn't said an unkind or miserable word all morning, taking everything in great stride.

"You're right," I said. "I hope it lasts."

"You're such a cynic, Alicia."

"I just wish we knew more about Mr Colby."

"I like him."

I laughed, but it was a dull sound. "A few nice presents, a good man does not make."

"Oh, I pity the man who ever fancies you. He'll have a hard time indeed."

I shot her a sharp look, but it didn't seem like she had been speaking about anyone in particular. I hadn't spoken to Theo at all since that night I'd seen Maia entering his shed.

I wasn't sure how long I could go like this, but I knew one thing – I was not going to be the one to crack. "Speaking of Mr Colby, is he ready yet?"

"I don't know."

"What do you mean 'you don't know'? That was one of your duties, Felicity."

"Yes, well, I delegated some of my duties."

I narrowed my eyes at her. "To whom?"

"Maia."

I gritted my teeth when I heard that. "Of course you did."

I folded up my list, tucking it away in my pocket. "You stay and keep an eye on things here. I'll go check on Mr Colby."

"Roger."

I marched out of the parlor, fighting my way through a crowd of workers and guests to the den – Father's den – where Mr Colby and his friends were supposed to be waiting.

I found his friends there, elegant, older gentlemen shrouded in their own pipe-smoke, but not Mr Colby himself. "Where is the groom?" I demanded.

"Oh, he went out for a smoke."

I cocked a brow at the irony. "When?"

One of them consulted his pocket watch. "About a half hour ago."

"Half an hour?"

"He's probably out chatting with some of the guests."

It sounded plausible, and yet, I had a bad feeling in the pit of my stomach, for some reason. I went outside, trying not to look at the shed off in the distance as I went in search of Mr Colby. I rounded the grounds twice, but found no sign of him. No one else had seen him either.

I went back inside, checking every room – even the basement and the attic, assuming maybe he'd just needed a quiet moment to himself.

But I couldn't find him anywhere.