17

As promised, I went to see Dale again the following day, this time with Mother and Felicity.

Mother had been badgering me about my disappearance with Detective Bromley last night, but so far, I had avoided telling her anything.

I still wasn't sure how to explain the situation with Theo yet, although I knew I couldn't hold her off forever.

Dale looked to be in better spirits this time around, seeming encouraged to see all of us. His parents were also there, so it was a big group of us, all there for Dale.

It was only later that Dale finally asked to speak to me alone. Everyone else obliged, leaving the ward so that we could be alone.

"There's something I need to tell you, Alicia," Dale told me. "Something I've been hanging onto for a while now."

"Alright," I said, raising a brow.

"First off, I should apologize for not telling you this sooner. Just know that it wasn't my secret to keep."

"What are you talking about? You're starting to scare me, Dale."

He let out a shaky sigh, one that seemed to drain his very limbs. "It's about your father."

I blinked, going silent for several moments. "Go on."

"He's not dead."

"What?"

"He wasn't killed in the war. He just ... decided to never come back."

I bristled. "What? Why on earth would you say something like that? Are you ... are you deliberately trying to be cruel?"

"No. Listen to me, Alicia. He ... has his reasons for staying. That doesn't mean he doesn't still love you or your sister. It just ... it's complicated."

I huffed at that weak argument. "Why are you telling me this?"

"He made me swear never to tell you – any of you. But after last night ... I feel like it would have been unfair if I'd died and the truth had died with me. I just think you deserve to know. And to do with that knowledge what you will."

"Do you know where he is?"

"Yes," he said, to my surprise and growing amazement. "There's an address, kept with my things at home. You'll know it when you see it."

I shot to my feet. "I need that address."

"Alicia – "

"What?"

"Believe me, this isn't something you want to do."

"Yes, it is. Don't I have a right to some answers?"

He slumped back against the bed, looking exhausted.

"I have to go."

"Alright. You probably won't listen to me, but, please, leave it alone."

I ignored him, marching out of the ward. I found Mother and Felicity outside, commenting on how the markets seemed to be opening up again, and should they go over for a spell?

I told them I was feeling tired and would see them at home. As usual, Mother didn't like the idea of me going anywhere unaccompanied, but I was already walking away, my mind focused on what I had to do.

Of course, I didn't go home. I went over to the Kenneths' cottage instead. The servants let me in, since they knew me well. I said something about needing to get something from Dale's room, and they didn't even ask any questions.

Standing alone in Dale's bedroom for the first time ever, I couldn't help thinking that it seemed wrong for me to be there. But then I remember Father, and the frustration and betrayal I was feeling pushed me to start searching.