12

Detective Bromley came to the house once more that afternoon – sooner than I'd expected.

"It's good to see you again, Sir," I greeted as he stood before me, pulling down his hat.

"Miss Alicia, was it?"

"Yes, that's right," I said, showing him inside.

"Would you be so kind as to fetch your mother for me?"

"I would, but she's not receiving guests at the moment."

"Oh."

"I think you can understand, given the circumstances."

He paused, hooking his thumbs in his waistcoat as he glanced out the window. Outside, we could see workmen dismantling the temporary gazebo where Mother and Mr Colby would have said their vows. "Yes, I imagine she must be ... very upset."

"That's something of an understatement."

"Then perhaps it's better that I relay my information to you, and you can decide the best time to pass it on to her."

"What have you found?"

"Not our friend, Mr Colby, I'm afraid," he sighed, moving down the hallway and inspecting everything on the walls with interest – family portraits, tapestries from Father's travels, Felicity's stitching projects which put mine to shame.

It made sense that he should be a police officer; he was the sort of man who I imagined questioned very much and missed very little.

"I'm so sorry," I said as a thought struck me. "Where are my manners? Why don't we sit in the parlor, and I'll call for a drink?"

"No need. This isn't a social call, after all."

"Oh."

He paused, looking over his shoulder at me. "Although I appreciate the hospitality. Anyway ... while I can't be certain, everything I've discovered indicates that Mr Colby has left town for good."

Like yesterday, I pretended to be shocked. "I ... I can hardly believe it."

"I've also gotten a report that Mr Colby owes large amounts of money to a man named Frank Vanderbilt. Have you ever heard of him, Miss Alicia?"

"The name rings a bell."

"I'm afraid my suspicions seem to have been confirmed that Mr Colby, in an act of despair, stole from your family and used it to buy his way out of Casra."

I said nothing, putting on my best 'shocked and betrayed' expression – which wasn't hard, really. I knew all too well how that felt, thanks to a certain scoundrel named Theo.

"I'm ... sorry," Detective Bromley said, a little awkwardly, and I could tell he was not used to this part of his job. Figuring people out maybe, but not comforting them.

"It's disappointing, to say the least."

"And worrying as well. I'm concerned that Mr Vanderbilt may send men here to look for him. Have you witnessed any strange persons around the property of late? Or received any odd messages, things like that? Anything that might constitute harassment?"

"I don't think so," I lied.

"Nonetheless, we should be cautious."

"What do you suggest?"

"With your permission, I would like to station a few men at Myron Hall for the protection of everyone here."

"For how long?"

"Until I feel that there's no threat to any of you."

I nodded. "Thank you. I think I can speak for my mother and sister in accepting."