18

A few days later, I walked into the police station in town, asking to see Detective Bromley.

"You're lucky to have caught me," he said as he approached. "I was just on my way out. Are you here on your own?"

I nodded. "Um ... I don't mean to bother you at work, but do you have a minute for me?"

"Of course. Is anything the matter at home? Is it your mother?"

"No, she's fine."

"Any problems at the house? Are you concerned about protection? I wouldn't worry too much about that if I were you."

"Oh? Why's that?"

"According to my reports, Mr Vanderbilt left Casra in the middle of the riots. His estate was targeted, and there was a lot of damage. I'm not sure if he'll ever return."

I was surprised. "I see. So ... something good came out of those riots?"

"It's strange to think so, but for the moment, at least, he would appear to be out of our hair. Not that we don't have other problems ... " he trailed off, looking in the direction of the cells.

"What's going to happen to them?" I asked.

He paused, a knowing look in his eye. "They'll be tried in groups. Most will have to serve out their sentence. The ringleaders will likely be executed."

"Detective Bromley, do you ever wonder – what if you had been born under different circumstances? Then maybe you might be the one on the other side of those bars."

"If I were, it would be a sad thing, because it would mean I had no one to help me see the error of my ways."

"I see."

"I will do what I can for them, Miss Alicia. But this is the way things are."

"Tell me something."

"Yes?" he asked, looking curious.

"How do you feel about my mother?"

"That's quite a change in subject."

"I'd like to know. Please, be honest with me."

"I am ... fond of her."

"Do you mean that?"

"Yes, of course. I enjoy her company very much, just as I enjoy yours and your sister's."

I smiled. "So my family can count on you?"

"Always, Miss Alicia. But where are these questions coming from?"

"I just wanted to know where you stand."

"I hope that helped clear things up then."

"Yes. It did."

"Was there anything else?" he asked, shrugging into his coat.

"No. I'd best be on my way and leave you to your work."

"Would you like me to walk you home?"

"No. I'll be fine. I may be on my own, but I'm not alone."

Detective Bromley tilted his head, intrigued by my words. "You have a good day then, Miss Alicia. I will see you soon."

A moment later, we parted ways outside the station. He had no idea that we would never see each other again.

~

"Going to Laria?" the border guard grunted to Theo and me just the very next day.

Laria's golden sands and palm trees were visible in the distance, behind a long stretch of fence. While several people were coming into Casra, not many were going the other way.