14

I awoke later that same night to find someone sitting on the side of my bed in the dark.

"Mother!" I gasped, doing a jolt. "Good grief, I thought you were a ghost!"

She winced, tossing her long hair over her shoulders. "I'm sorry."

I sat up, rubbing my eyes. "You ... you're out of your room."

She nodded. "I heard you weren't feeling well today."

"Oh ... that – that was nothing. I'm a lot better now. I'll be right as rain by morning, I'm sure."

She said nothing, clasping her hands together and resting them in her lap.

"Do you want to ... talk about anything?" I asked tentatively.

"I, um ... just wanted to thank you. For being patient with me," she said in a small voice. "I just couldn't bring myself to ... "

"It's alright, Mother. I understand. We all do."

She turned, eyes bright as she looked at me. "Am I unlovable, Alicia?"

Immediately, I reached over, holding both her hands in mine. "No, Mother. No. Don't ever think like that."

"I should have listened to you. Or I should have at least taken the time to ... I don't know. I should have been more careful."

"There's nothing wrong with being open to love, you know."

"Except the part about getting hurt."

I went quiet for a moment, drawing a long breath. "Yes, you're right. But I suppose it comes with the territory."

"I suppose I was afraid that this would have been my last chance."

"Last chance for what?"

"To not die alone."

I blinked in surprise. "Mother, that will never happen. No matter what, you have me and Felicity."

"You have your own lives to lead."

"Yes. But you'll always be part of it. That will never change."

She gazed at me, eventually managing a smile. "Thank you, dear."

"Is there anything we can do to make you feel better?"

"No. Well ... maybe ... I suppose it would be nice if us three girls could spend some time together tomorrow."

"That sounds like a lovely idea. I'm sure Felicity won't mind."

"Good." She patted my hand with her own. "Again, thank you for holding down the fort these past few days. Is there anything I should know about?"

I thought about the matter with Frank Vanderbilt, then shook my head. "Not at the moment, no."

"Alright. I should get back to bed. We can talk more in the morning."

True to her word, Mother emerged from her bedroom at last the next day, looking beautiful and put together, as if nothing had even happened.

Felicity was visibly relieved and happy, hugging Mother tightly with both arms while she stroked her hair.

Later that day, we were on our way out of Myron Hall for a day of shopping when we saw someone coming up the walk.

At first, panic leapt into my throat as I imagined Dale showing up, ready to demand an answer.

But it wasn't him.

"Detective Bromley," Mother greeted in surprise.

"Mrs Lyons," he said, taking off his hat and bowing his head slightly. "I'm so pleased to see you."