Different

The next day I was back to my normal, don't give a fuck, self. I got up early and walked to school. I didn't really want to see Logan, it was going to happen anyway, why see him now? I made it to school and walked to my home room. I was late, again. "Jaylyn, you have detention. Late again." He shook his head. Every other week, if I'm late for four days straight, I have detention on Friday. I already knew this, I don't understand why he kept reminding me. I snatched my detention slip and went to my desk. No different than any other day. "Ok class. This is the first time we are in pairs, whoever is your partner now, is your permanent one." Mr. Picón said. He called our names, putting us in pairs. Of course I got paired with Logan but I honestly didn't mind. "You will research a place in the world that you like, and write a paper about it. You can start now and I suggest you continue after school." He said. Everyone started moving their desks together and switching seats. Logan moved his desk to mine. "Uh, what place would you..like to do? I know about Japan and Brazil." He said. "Brazil is fine." I mumbled.

Mr. Picón kept coming to us and telling me I needed to participate. I was and it was getting so annoying. He came around once more and even Logan was fed up with it. "She is participating, fuck off." He said. I was shocked, he didn't seem like the type to curse. Mr. Picón had detention slips in his pocket and gave Logan one. "Detention for you." He said.

School flew by like nothing. After my last class, I grabbed my things and walked to detention. I sat down on a desk, waiting for the teachers to leave. "I'm gonna get killed for this." Logan sighed as he walked in. "Why? You can just say you were doing your project." I said. "Oh, yeah. Can we do it at your house. My parents would not approve of me bringing a girl over." He said. I shrugged and hopped off the desk. "Alright, let's go." I said. "What? But..." he said. I laughed and pulled him out. "Once all the other teachers leave, we can go. The lady who watches detention hasn't been here for two years. Nobody has noticed." I said. He followed me to the bus stop.

I let him into my house and saw the place trashed. "Uh. I think my roommate's home." I whispered. "Sorry for the mess. Kayla, my roommate, is having a bad time." I said. He nodded and followed me to my room. It seemed to be the only clean place, because I lock my door. I threw my bag on the floor and sat on my bed. "You know, we should be extra." I said. He sat in my desk chair. "How?" He asked. We should make a poster with our report. Might get extra credit." I said. I looked behind my bed and grabbed a poster board. "We already know a lot about Brazil, the paper is almost done. And making posters is fun." I smiled. "Yeah sure. This is a bit off topic but, you act differently than what everyone has told me. At least around me." He said. "Yeah. You're right. I don't know why, I just do." I lied. I knew exactly why, I had a crush. I've never really liked anyone before, it was different. A different feeling that I wanted to keep. "Ok...what should we do for our poster?" He asked. I rolled out the poster board on the floor and sat there. We both sat on the floor, discussing what to do on our poster. We decided we were going to draw the flag and write some facts on it. Like food, dances, sports, and language. I had to draw something for each thing since he couldn't draw. "Ok so, I'll finish the report while you start the flag." He said.

In the middle of our work, his phone started ringing. He put it on speaker and continued.

Hello? Logan, where are you!?

Sorry mom. I forgot to tell you. We have a project to do and I'm doing it over my partner's house.

Oh ok, next time, tell me where you're going. Be home before dark.

Right mom. Bye.

"How do you forget to inform your parents of what's happening?" I asked. "Eh, I don't know. Distracted by you." He winked. I blushed a bit and looked away, so he wouldn't notice. We finished the report, and poster very quickly. It looked awesome and I was proud. "Wow. We finished pretty fast." He said. "The report is due Monday?" I asked. He nodded and grabbed his stuff. "I should be going. See ya on Monday." He said and walked out of the door. I locked the door behind him and went to my room. "Why am I acting different?"

No words.........