chapter three

August, 2016 (First Day Of School)

You jolt to your feet when your alarm begins ringing through your skull. You turn off your alarm clock, which reads "6:30 AM," and rub the sleep out of your eyes while quietly groaning. You change into the outfit you picked out last night.

After a short breakfast and reviewing the bus instructions for the millionth time this week with Tony, you journey to the bus station with Happy. When happy leaves and the bus pulls away from the curb, you stand, surrounded by a bunch of people. All of them look different. It's interesting, but yet a bit suffocating.

You're startled by the sudden culture shock as you walk down the sidewalk of Midtown School of Science and Technology. You've been out of cryofreeze for a while and have been overwhelmed by this century many times, but nothing this bad. There are students laughing and talking all around you. When words like "meme" and "bae" are spoken, you have no idea what any of it means.

A silver car speeds by you, almost hitting a boy walking across the street. He jumps out of the way, but you still freeze, waiting to see him get hit. People are insane these days. The same boy who almost got hit comes to the entrance when you do. He holds the door open, which was a common gesture in the fifties, but you haven't seen much of since then.
"Thanks."
"No problem," The stranger replies.

On screen in the corridor, two teenagers are talking about "homecoming."
"Excuse me, what's homecoming?" You ask a girl who looks a little bit more normal than anybody else around you.
"It's just a dance. Only losers go."
"Oh, okay."
"Also, where is..." You glance at your schedule in your hand. "..social studies?"
"That's where I'm going. Come on, I'll show you."

After Mrs. Hardy has finally gotten most of the class to be quiet and in their seats, she begins her lecture. She explains the Sokovia Accords, briefly mentioning the Avengers. You try to listen to Mrs. Hardy's lecture, but she seems to be just reading out of a book, making it hard to be interested. Around you, most of the students are either sleeping or on their phones. The girl sitting next to you, the one who showed you to this class and said her name is "MJ," taps your shoulder to get your attention. She points to a piece of paper in front of her. She set up a tic-tac-toe board. After being amused that people still play this game even in high school, you quietly fish a pen out of your backpack. For the next thirty minutes, you play tic-tac-toe with your new friend, MJ.

When Mrs. Hardy finishes reading her lesson, she wakes the sleeping students. You're glad MJ kept you awake, because Mrs. Hardy gave a extra homework to those who fell asleep.

After science class with MJ and algebra without her, it's time for health class. You tell yourself that you need to give MJ some space, that you don't need to sit by her every day, in every class. You don't want to act over-clingy, but when you get to health class, MJ slightly motions for you to sit next to her. That makes you feel better, because you don't want to sit next to annoying strangers.