chapter twelve

December, 2017

After bringing blankets to the couch in the living room, you place a plate of chocolate chip cookies, a bowl of pretzels, and a few glass bottles of root beer on the coffee table. You get the Star Wars movie from your room. When you've put it in the television, you play a game on your phone as you anticipate Peter's arrival.

Thankfully, you don't have to wait long. Peter arrives in the living room and finds his place next to you.
"Hey," you greet him.
"Hello, (Y/N/N)." He drops onto the other side of couch. You turn on the movie with the remote.

You've been dating for six months, and the awkwardness has reduced greatly since the first date. Though there is still some discomfort between you and Peter. With determination to dispose completely of the awkwardness, you slowly slide closer to him. You realize the irony in trying to make it less awkward by seemingly making it more awkward. A distance of a few inches separates you and Peter. As a breeze comes through the room, you pull your legs onto the couch to get more comfortable and lay a blanket over the two of you for warmth. Your hand accidentally bumps Peter's, and you inconspicuously slip your fingers through his.

So, now you're sitting on the couch in an extremely uncomfortable position, watching Star Wars. Oddly enough, the only thing about this that isn't radiating awkwardness is his hand holding yours. Him holding you. It's comfortable. It's natural. Leaning against him would be a more relaxing position for you, but you don't want to make things worse. You lean your arm against him, an easy compromise for you. Now you can relax more and enjoy the movie.

"What's his name again?" You inquire.
"Jar Jar Binks," Peter replies, amused by your confusion.
"What kind of name is that?"
"An alien name. Because they're in space."
"I guess," You shrug.

"Whatcha watching?" Tony arrives in the living room. You feel Peter tensing beside you, obviously uncomfortable by the new audience to your date.
"Star Wars," You answer.
"Huh. Well, I'll leave you two alone." He leaves with a wink.

"Wait...ew!" You exclaim during the movie.
"What?"
"The girl..."
"Padmè," Peter supplies,
"She and Anakin are in love, right?"
"Yeah, why?"
"He's like four! She's a perv." You accuse.
"Yeah, I guess it is kinda gross."

"Oh, Star Wars, right?" Again, Peter tenses slightly as Vision enters.
"Yeah," You reply. Vision doesn't leave like Tony did. Instead, he sits himself on the armrest of a sofa. Silently, you hope he decides to make his exit soon.

Minutes later, Vision is still in the living room. As if things weren't awkward enough, Rhodey stops behind the couch, watching the movie silently. Your head looks up from its place on Peter's shoulder. He seems slightly amused and a bit uncomfortable. You smile before focusing again on the movie.

You begin to adjust to all the company. So, when Tony joins in, it doesn't bother you much anymore. You slide over to make room for him on the couch, but he finds a seat on a different chair. Tony seems to enjoy seeing you and Peter sitting so close.

"I'll be right back," Peter whispers to you.
"Okay."
As he stands, he plants a kiss on top of your head. You look around to see Rhodey, Vision, and Tony all staring at you with the same teasing expression. You immediately reply by throwing popcorn at each of them and murmuring, "shut up."