Don't Steal My Root Beer

Andrew

"It's all good! No worries, there will be other times... Well, not really... but it's all fine. Hope you feel better soon. Miss you more..." 

Were we okay? Should I call him? 

Yes. I decide to call him.

"Hello?"

"Hey."

"Andrew? Hi... How... How are you?" The sound of his voice made me want to cry. I missed him so much. 

"Garrett, hey. I'm... How... How are you?" 

"I'm good, yeah... I actually am about to leave for Harry Potter Land, Shane got tickets for me, him, Ryland and Morgan. We're about to leave."

"Oh?"

"Yeah. So how are you?" The thought of him hanging out with Shane without me. I didn't like it, and I could feel the anger in my chest return. 

"Um, good. Yeah. Well, I should let you go I guess."

"Wait, Andrew..."

"Yeah?" I could hear Shane and Ryland talking in the background. 

"So that's why you didn't come home the other night? I thought you were at Tana's again." "No, I was checking on..."

"Wait, what are you guys talking about?" I hear 

"Hello?" 

"Andrew, I gotta go! I'll talk to you later!" He hangs up. 

Breathe. 

I find myself struggling to collect my thoughts. Too much had just happened, I couldn't just leave the conversation at that. I decide to call Shane. I'd been meaning to anyways, ever since that night at my place. 

"Hello?"

"Shane? Hey... Can we talk?"

"Um... Yeah, sure."

"Is Garrett around?"

"He's in the kitchen."

"Oh."

"Yeah... Hold on, let me make sure he's not drinking my root beer." I hear Shane walking around for a minute before he speaks again.

"We're good, he got into Rylands La Croix instead." 

"Gross."

"I know right?"

"Listen, Shane... About the other night, morning, whatever it was. I just want to say that I'm sorry. I don't know what's going on with me lately, I've kind of lost myself, I guess. I took it out on you, and I know I shouldn't have. It was a big mistake, and I wish I could take it all back. I shouldn't have yelled at you, I know you were just trying to help and I probably should have just let you help me... Maybe if I would've let you help me I wouldn't be so fucked up, maybe I'd be happy with myself, maybe I'd actually care about life. I don't know. I just, I've never felt this low, and I don't know what to do. I feel like I've shut out everyone who cares about me, and I hate it so much. I just wish things would go back to normal. I don't even know what happened, I don't understand anything at this point." Whoa. He didn't say anything for a while. "Shane?" 

"I'm here."

"Okay. So, I guess what I'm trying to say is sorry. I'm sorry for yelling at you. I'm sorry for getting all defensive when you were just trying to help me. I shouldn't have kicked you out that morning." 

"So... Confession."

"What..."

"I'm in the car, because well we were about to leave when you called, so Garrett went to get snacks and a drink because it's Garrett and he's five, so he can't go anywhere without snacks, and well after I checked to see if he'd gotten into my root beer we both got into the car, and well we're taking the Jeep and well I guess my Bluetooth was hooked up to my phone so..."