Mother Knows Best

Andrew

"Mom... I think I'm b-"

"Gay?" Oh, honey, we figured. I gasp, taken aback.

"Wait, what? No! I'm not gay, I'm bi. Bisexual, I uh like girls and boys."

"Damn it."

"Uh? What's wrong? Do you not... Do you not approve?"

"Oh, Andrew, sweetie, oh God no!! We love you no matter what, I just owe your father fifty dollars now." And now I'm totally confused, had my parents been betting on my sexuality? Should I be angry? No, probably not, I should just be glad that they approve. I feel the anxiety slip away as my mom sweeps me up into her tiny arms, squeezing me tightly.

"Oh... Okay."

"Are you sure you're bisexual? You and Garrett aren't a couple yet?" I feel myself blush intensely.

"I uh... Mom, I'm still bisexual. Garrett and I are just friends." For now.

"Oh honey, no, I don't think so."

"What do you mean you don't think so?"

"I just mean, well... I can tell you both love each other."

"Mom. How could you possibly know that?"

"Well, the videos of course."

"What videos?"

"Shanes videos, oh and of course Garretts. Oh, sweetie, it's so cute that you think we can't tell. Baby, we can definitely tell. Now, when are you going to tell me why you're here? And don't get me wrong, we love having you here with us. But I know there's something else going on."

"Um." I try to process what she's just said. Was it that obvious? Did everyone know? Did the fans? I guess maybe? "Okay. I'll tell you."

And I decide to do just that.

"Can I get another?" I signal the bartender, standing a few stools down on the opposite side of the bar. He nods, smiling pleasantly.

"You've been here every single night this week, you new to town?"

"No, no... I used to live here actually, I went to Northern Illinois University actually."

"No way? I went there! Look how far it got me..." The Bartender laughs, and I join him because literally same.

"No, me too man." I raise my glass, tilting it towards him and smile. I down it and set it down in front of me.

"Another?"

"I shouldn't. I got pretty drunk last night."

"It's on the house, for laughing at my joke."

"Well, in that case," I nudge my glass forward, and he smiles as he begins to pour. "I'm sorry, your name is?"

"Alex."

"I'm Andrew." I reach to shake his hand, he shakes it and smiles back.

"So, Andrew, how long have you lived here? I've never seen around." I bite my lip, not wanting to tell him I actually lived California. I hesitate at first but proceed eventually.

"I actually live in California."

"Oh, I see." His eyes flicker a bit, and I could've sworn he was disappointed to hear this.

"Yeah, I'm just here to see family and get away from LA life, ya know."

"Oh okay, that's too bad I had a feeling we'd get along really well."