Chapter 23: Sweaty Movement

Chasity calls my phone and I answer it as soon as I hear it ring.

"Hey." I answer.

"Hey! Come over. We need to hangout and I want to help get your mind off of things since you've been hit with shit lately." I hear rustling on her end of the line and a crash that comes with it. "Shit!" I hear her father say. We both laugh at his clumsiness.

"Sure. When should I come over?"

"Now. We're going somewhere tomorrow so pack something sporty and nice." She says excitedly and hides a giggle.

"Alright." I say with a sort of question. What could she be doing? I ponder my curiosity and I am interrupted by Chasity's voice.

"Trust me, you'll be fine. I think you'll end up thanking me actually." She says with such pride. I trust her judgement and say ok. We hang up and I walk over to my dresser to grab a black dress, the flats I bought at wet seal, gym shorts, A plain white tee, and my converse. I walk over to the bathroom and grab my regular necessities: Toothbrush, toothpaste, mouthwash, hairbrush, shampoo & conditioner, soap, and makeup. I only grab the makeup because of the "nice clothes" part in our short conversation.

I look to my bed and grab my phone charger and headphones. I pet Annika and walk downstairs holding my choice of items in my hands. I find a string bag next to the closet and throw my stuff inside. I walk over to the kitchen, grab a Capri sun and walk out of the house, grabbing my keys in the process.

I start up the car and in five minutes, I reach my best friend's driveway. She's sitting on the door step, holding a basketball. I see her grin and I walk up cautiously, contemplating the pieces being put together.

Basketball.

I laugh and grab the ball from her hands, dropping my bag instantly. I swish the ball side to side and pass it between my legs. I bounce it and roll it behind my back leading to the front again.

When I was in my younger years, Chasity and I would play together on the court. Since I had no friends, I was too nervous to join any sports, so we just played different sports with each other. My favorite one was always basketball and she knew it.

I always beat her at it because she sucked. Chasity was always the person for contact sports, but sometimes, she wasn't the best one in the field. She knew it but didn't care because it was something she loved. She was always more outgoing and daring than me. I was the quiet introvert in this friendship and I was ok with that.

Chasity surprises me by moving to my left and dodging for the ball. I get stunned and she takes it from my hands. I try to take it back but she blocks me. I hear the swoosh of the basket and the ball goes in.

"Scoorree bitch!" She yells and laughs. I laugh with her and take the ball.

We play like this for a couple hours, just passing time and bringing old memories back. It was definitely a nice way to get the shit in my life off of my mind.

"Do you remember when I fell over there from you aggressively pushing me?" She points to the right side of the concrete where a tree lays planted next to it.

"Yea!" I laugh. "I was so pissed because you got a higher score than me."

"I've never seen you so competitive in my life. I'm still surprised you never tried out for basketball."

"You know I was never good at being social. People don't like me as well and easily as they do you. I was always the outcast sordof. It's just who I've been. I can't be myself around strangers or anyone unless I know them." I shrug my shoulders and place the sixth point in a row, making it game. The first person to ten points won and Chasity was left with four.