4.CHAPTER

They stood across from each other on the roof.

Sheikh Haadi was Aisha's cousin and best friend, but in that moment, it seemed like he was nothing less than her mortal enemy.

Haadi squirmed as a dirty look was thrown his way. His face twisted in pain from the aftermath of a punch.

He held her fist in his hand as she directed another punch towards him. "No more punches. I think you've had too much biryani."

"Where were you these past few months, Haadi!?" Aisha hissed as she snatched her fisted hand away from his hold.

"Not a single call. You forgot about me."

Haadi opened his mouth but was interrupted as she continued about how worried she was and how he had missed so many things.

He couldn't pinpoint the exact timing of when they had become as close as thieves, but once they did, they were inseparable.

From what he observed since childhood, his mother and her aunt were just as close as he and Aisha were, maybe even more.

"You forgot about my existence!" she concluded.

"No, I did not," he sighed, and with a mischievous smile, he further added, "You did!"

Aisha narrowed her eyes at him.

"Okay. I agree it's my fault that I didn't contact you, and I'm really sorry. I was just... caught up."

"You were busy?"

Haadi hesitated, unsure of what to say. "Sort of. In studies!"

He watched her as she turned away from him and slightly bent down the parapet, which overlooked the courtyard below.

Only people belonging to their extended family could be seen in the house now that the ceremony was over. The majority of guests had left soon after the engagement meal, but not before congratulating the engaged bride again.

Haadi knew that Aisha hadn't bought his lame excuse, and the discussion was far from over. She could always see through his half-baked lies. The question would arise again soon, and he had to be ready with an answer. It was very unlike him to go for months without talking to her, and his best friend was well aware of it.

"Are you angry?" he asked.

"A little bit," she mumbled.

"Good, because I can't take a lot," he stated with an amused smile.

"Are you still angry?" he probed further.

She ignored him while he kept repeating the question, expecting her to give in.

Finally, she snapped, "No! But now you're annoying me!!"

"I can take that," he shrugged, and as a minute passed, he asked again, "Am I annoying you now?"

Haadi chuckled as she finally threw her hands up in disbelief.

She turned around facing him and slapped his arm. "You can stop now. See, I'm talking."

Haadi folded his arms over his chest and gave her a smug smile. "Keep talking."

Aisha faked a smile at him. "You know what, Haadi ji?"

"What?"

"I'm leaving!"

She turned around to leave, but before she could actually leave, Haadi stretched out his hand and held her wrist to stop her.

He let go of her hand just as fast as he held it when he saw her eyes widen in surprise.

"Sorry? Stay?"