5.CHAPTER

The appetizing aroma of sizzling koftas filled the air of the Ma'mun residence as they were being pan-fried in the kitchen below, while Aisha and Naazneen sat in her bedroom having a heart-to-heart.

As soon as Aisha caught a whiff of the delicious koftas, her grumbling stomach couldn't stop rumbling even more out of hunger. But it wasn't just her.

Her cat, who was napping under the quilt, emerged as he sniffed the air and looked at her with rounded almond eyes, as if saying, 'Girl, it's meat. Let's go!'

It had been three hours since she arrived back at her home along with her maternal side of the family, and two hours since she was with Naazneen in her room, trying to lighten her cousin sister's burdens.

They left Haadi behind in the living room with her father and uncle, which she felt guilty about, but she had to. She knew that with him around, Naazneen would not open up about anything.

Also, with the stunt he pulled that very day on their cousin with the roosters, it was clear that they were in a cold war. Inviting both of them to her bedroom would have been a disaster in itself.

When both of them reached downstairs with Meow in the lead, the dastarkhwan was already set with a three-course meal by her mother, and everyone had taken seats on the jute mat in an Indian style, with men on one side of the dastarkhwan while women sat opposite to them.

During dinner, as Faizan chewed on his morsel, his gaze lifted to his beloved niece seated right in front of him, and an idea struck him. "Haven't you gotten your summer holidays yet, Hadhirah?"

Aisha looked up at her uncle, her face twisted in distaste upon hearing him call her by her second name.

He was the second youngest among seven sisters and one brother, and he was adored by everyone for his childlike purity, despite being married with a toddler of his own. On outings, people often mistook him for their eldest brother due to the way he behaved with his nephews and nieces. To Aisha, he was her favorite uncle, nothing less.

As Aisha fed a piece of meat from her korma to her meowing cat, she replied, "Of course, I did."

"Why are you wasting your holidays then?"

"Wasting them? Don't tell me you want me to learn cooking already."

Faizan grinned at his niece's horrified expression. "I meant you are misspending them."

Before Aisha could respond, Faizan turned to her mother with a smug smile. "Baaji, what are you teaching her? Teach her how to enjoy her youthful days like how we used to do once."

Aasimah rolled her eyes affectionately. "But you still act like a child, Faizu."

"Arey Boss! That's why I'm young, but Hadhirah here is going to get old before I do. I'm telling you," Faizan retorted as he resumed his dinner.

Aisha narrowed her eyes at her uncle, grabbing a piece of cucumber from the salad bowl and hurling it at him. It landed on his forehead before he casually plucked it off and ate it, causing her to gag.

"Eww, maama! Has Haaziq bhaiya rubbed off on you?"

Haaziq, Aisha's five-year-older second brother, was known for his intermittent playful antics.

"When is he going to return, bhaijaan?" Faizan asked, turning to his brother-in-law.

"Maybe within a week or so," Maruf replied.

"Even your brother is on a trip, Hadhirah."

Taking a bite of soft, juicy gulab jamun, Maruf, with amusement in his voice, asked, "What are you talking about with my daughter, Faizan?"