8 | Poor Unfortunate Souls

Opening that magazine was the worst idea I ever had

Even though there was laughter and music booming downstairs, the noise travelling all the way up here, the sounds of screaming and shouting coming from the magazine was far louder.

Spirits spun around, white and faded, see through. Their faces were contorted with pain and anguish, some even looked angry as they floated around the room.

I tried closing the magazine, seeing if I could stop them from roaming this room before it drew attention to my friends' downstairs. Though, when I closed it, this only made them whirl around me in a dizzying fashion faster. Their speed accelerated until they were flying through the walls and through the windows of the room.

"Shoot!" I muttered as I raced out of the room, taking the wretched magazine with me as I tried to find the ghosts.

Screams came from downstairs.

Looking over the railing, I watched as the most popular kids took the mick out of the ghosts, believing them to be some sort of special effects or someone from school pulling a prank. Yet, when the ghost's face contorted with rage and screamed in their faces, they soon ran out of the front door with the rest of the party goers.

The only person left was Michael, the richest kid at school and also the most temperamental. He was someone you didn't really want to get on the bad side of.

Hiding in the dark hallways of the house, I made myself unseen as Michael came bounding up the stairs, his feet hammering against the floor, his eyes narrowed in silent concentration.

Once Michael had gone into the study, I raced towards the door and locked him in, turning the key on the outside.

He hammered on the door once he realised what had happened. I knew there was another key in there, so he was practically fine. But the amount of time it'll take him to find the key will give me enough time to search through this magazine and trap the dead that had escaped. I'd ask questions later.

Downstairs, crashes of ornaments shattered my eardrums and the sound of things being thrown with a loud whoosh echoed around the house. It wasn't very encouraging.

After flicking through many of the pages, I came upon a spell. I read it quickly before racing downstairs and standing in the doorway, the page they were trapped on open in front of me as I recited the spell;

"Giggling ghouls and monsters alike,
Trap these souls for my own spite,
Reckless and damaged, dead and gone,
No one will notice, say so long!"

The spell, granted, was very strange to me, but I was glad that it was working.

A whirlpool was visible in the magazine and the souls were all sucked into it. I slammed the magazine shut before hearing the door to the study open.

Leaving the magazine there, I raced out of the house with the rest.

Word count - 500