10 | The Witch's Bite

The sound of my brothers' howls echoed across the woods where torches followed them, the orange glow with flashes of silver hurrying to catch the prey of the people I cared about most whilst I was on the hunt for the witch

On four paws – how strange since it isn't a full moon – I galloped across the estate of my father who was probably waiting anxiously for our return. Of course, he knew the secret. He protected us from prejudice and the hunt. Yet, tonight the secret has been breached. I will fix that, as soon as I find where the witch is hiding.

I sniffed the air for the scent of that wretched witch. I found a trace of her disgusting odour and followed it reluctantly. I must remember that I have a mission.

Not only was my life at stake here, but also those of my brothers who were currently a distraction, so I could go on this hunt. Hopefully she can spare some pity on us. After all, we never chose to be this way.

Running over the hill top, I came very close to the hunters who were all talking angrily, no clear leader among them as they raced around mindlessly. They soon heard my brother's howl and they all moved in that direction.

I was soon face to face with a human child, only seven at the most, my fear reflected in his eyes. I turned the other way, quickly towards the stench. I needed to hurry.

Soon I was face to face with the witch, her eyes narrowed as she held her broomstick in a hand, tapping it lightly. She wagged her finger with her free hand, an evil smirk flashing across her tight, thin lips.

"You shall never be human again!"

Word count - 300