14 | Land of Darkness and Crimson

All the world around me was dark with faint blurs of fog lifting around my feet, crawling on the ground and weaving between the tress

All the world around me was dark with faint blurs of fog lifting around my feet, crawling on the ground and weaving between the tress. The dark oak trees stood tall with no leaves coming off them. The branches spiked and poked in every direction, their sharpness much like those of thorns on a rose stem. The darkness flicked hues of black, purple and a very dark, rich blue around the gaps in the trees. The sky above was a dark crimson, light grey clouds of dust moving quickly to the left.

I took a few steps forward, trying to fathom where I was. Fear crept through my veins as a colony of bats moved throughout the sky, their wings flapping out of time with each other. The trees struck out against the sky, the branches curved like claws. Howls echoed in the distance with each step I took.

The sound was not like the sound of wolves which I had heard often in the forest surrounding the town I had come from. Instead they were unlike wolves. Harsher, more brash sounding. Not even like the sound of dogs.

I walked further into the forest, branches snapping under the pressure of my boots whilst I walked along, turning at every rustle or shiver coming from the darkness which weaves in between the trees.

How did I get here?

I remember walking along a narrow road which leads to the hiking trail near the high hills, the forest surrounding me. I was taking a short stroll in nature to help with the stress of the school day. My mom would be back home soon, so I didn't dare venture too far out. Especially since my home was just a few miles back. It was only supposed to be a short stroll, after all. Nothing too dangerous.

There was nothing remotely resembling this in the forest. No crimson sky or gnarled trees. Only beautiful green scenery. The same scenery I had been looking at for the past seventeen years of my life from my bedroom window.

Nothing made sense.

I was just walking, and I blinked, feeling some pressure run through me. Then I was here. Wherever here is.

"Hello, little fledgling!" A high pitched, hoarse voice said from beside me.

I turned around very slowly, not realising that I wasn't the only person in this forest. Maybe they could show me the way back.

When I looked at the creature, I took a step back. It was unlike anything I had ever seen before. It was something right out of a fantasy novel. Or so I believed.

The red skin which shined like fresh paint showed off spectacular muscles on the arms of the creature. With matching wings stretching outwards, the length of them not fitting the creature's full height. It was hunched, it's movements very animalistic, close to a monkey, I would say. Horns, a light brown, shone without any light. It's eyes were a bright, luminescent red. They shone and stared into my soul. It had long black hair and a rather handsome face, yet the grinning look did not console me for what it might be up to.

"Hello?" I answered back, my voice wavering slightly as I took a few steps back, hoping that this creature would not harm me if I made a run for it. I would only do that, though, if it proved to have ill intent.

"What you doing wandering around here, eh?" It asked, tilting its head, those shining eyes alert as it looked to the sky.

Most certainly a male. But what was it?

"I'm lost... I don't know where I am." I shook my head, placing my palm upon it, applying pressure to the throbbing headache that just came on.

The creature stumbled towards me, its eyes looking to the skies. While it is hunched over like that, it looks slightly below my height, though I can tell it would be taller.

"It's not safe around these parts. You're not safe." The creature said, its eyes fixed on me. Then it smiled, waving me along to follow it.

Not really knowing what to do, I did so, following it until we were a little further in the woodland. I had no reason to trust it, but I did anyway. How else was I going to get out of this place?

"Where am I?" I asked, my voice rising slightly.

"Underworld. Now, don't talk. You'll be safe with me." 

Word count - 743