chapter eleven

Mikey knocked anxiously on the door of Pete's office. No response. He tried again. No cigar. Finally, as he was about to knock for the third time, it was opened. Pete became visibly ticked off when he saw who was at the door.

"Oh. It's you," he spat.

"Pete, can I come in-"

"No," he said as he slammed the door shut. Mikey groaned, but at least the door had been unlocked so he could walk on in.

"Look, Pete, I'm sorry about what I said, I didn't mean it-"

"No, no. Don't apologize. I'm glad you said it. Because I know you meant it. Mikey, I'm glad I didn't have to date you for so long, because you where bound to say that. I'm glad I got it over with." Pete said in an almost boastful manner.

"Pete, I didn't mean it, I swear," Mikey lied, knowing very well he had.

"Mikey, it's useless. I've moved on. I'm with someone else now. Someone who's not my assistant. Terrible decision on my part to give you a shot. I mean, I knew you wanted a raise, but I didn't picture you to be a fuck 'em and leave 'em kind of guy. Probably because I was blinded by love," Pete said, almost reminiscent in an ironic way. His tone turned sour. "I can't believed I loved you, of all people. I don't know what I was thinking." Mikey took it upon himself to play defensive.

"Oh, you're just making it easy, saying I never mattered." 

"I'm sorry, I didn't mean any of it. I just got too lonely for my own good and decided to care a bit too much about what the cat drug in. Now, if you should probably go, I've got a meeting in five. Remember those business men who's party I skipped because I decided to be nice and pay a visit to your corpse of a brother? Yeah, it's them," Pete replied, his voice seething with superiority as though Mikey was merely trash from the street. He sat back at his desk, "Now, run along. You don't work here anymore, and I'm not afraid to call security." Mikey stood there, frozen. Fuck, this had been a horrible idea. He slowly left the room, but not without getting a final word in.

"Fuck you, Pete Wentz."

~

It kind of goes without saying that Patrick doesn't like Bob very much. So, naturally, when they had both been assigned to work together on some pitch to help get some new potential investors on board, Patrick wasn't too fond of the idea.

"Mr. Wentz, you know I don't ask for much, but can I please have a different partner? I have very good reasons," Patrick pleaded to Pete in his office.

"I'm sorry, Patrick, but you two are the best from your departments. Besides, if your reasoning is so good, the why won't you tell me it?" 

"It's... because I can't, but please work with me on this one, sir, I'll do anything-" 

"Well, I'm pretty sure working with Bob falls under the 'anything' umbrella. I'm afraid that you're going to be working with Mr. Bryar on this one." Patrick could've sworn he was on the verge of pulling a Mikey and having a breakdown in front of his boss, but he refrained himself, not really wanted to deal with what would inevitably come after. 

"Y-yes sir," he replied quietly as he left the room. Bob was waiting for him outside Pete's office.

"Hey there, cutie. Looks like you'll be seeing a whole lot more of me in the near future," stated Bob. Patrick couldn't help but cringe a little bit. 

"Lets go to the conference room where we can work in private," Bob suggested.

"I personally think that, well, maybe its better we practice in front of a large crowd. I mean, we're going to have to present in front of one," Patrick advocated. Bob laughed.

"Oh, Pattycakes, thats not how this works. You do what I say, when I say it, and maybe your jaw will stay intact. Capiche?" Bob pushed Patrick into the wall

"O-okay-"

"Very well then. Now, lets head to the conference room."

~

What happened in the conference room was mostly uneventful. Bob and Patrick practiced their presentation and Bob was surprisingly professional. Patrick had expected 'round two', but maybe he'd actually get through this project. Well, thats what he had hoped for anyway.

"So, Bob, I'd say this went well. See you the tomorrow, I guess?" Patrick attempted to rush out  as fast as he could, but Bob was blocking the door.

"No, I don't think we're quite done yet. I believe you and I have some... unfinished business to attend to." Bob walked a little closer to Patrick. His breathing sped up a bit and he began to ramble.

"I-I don't know what you mean, I think we've got everything just right, th-theres really nothing else we need to touch on-" Bob put his arm around his waist. Oh no.

"Patrick, you are an annoying, whiny, worthless little bitch and you are lucky to even be a blip on my radar. You're a fat piece of shit, Patrick. No one cares about you. Hell, if you ever told anyone about anything, no one would give a fuck. I'm just too good at my job to fire. For once in your life do something right."

"Th-thats not true, I-I have friends-" Another sinister laugh.

"Patrick, stop kidding yourself. No one could care any less about and you know it. Deep down inside, buried underneath all that false happiness, you know it. Stop lying to yourself." Bob stroked Patrick's cheek. "Now, for once in your life, be useful."

"You can't make me do anything!" Bam. The hand that once unwelcomely rested on his cheek was now a fist to the face. If Patrick was lucky, that'd only be a black eye. Chances are, though, it was definitely a lot worse. 

"Oh, yes I can."

~

i cant even describe the emotions i was feeling when i had to write all that negative stuff about patrick hes literally one of the best humans on the planet and i could easily write a 20 page essay on why hes so great but no this is what i do instead that hurt me on a spiritual level okay. also that scene did not go how i wanted it to and to me it feels a little forced and i dont like it but ugghghghghgh i already wrote this and i dont want to do it again. tbh im probably gonna go through and completely revamp this thing once its all done anyway